Mr. Kibuka,

Akena Adoko's article is on the web at: www.kituochakatiba.co.ug/archives.htm.

This is the article that was quashed by Mr. Davies Sebukima (a.k.a. Steve Lino) -- an act rewarded by detention and accusations of sedition. The Steve Lino letter can be found at

www.mail-archive.com/ugandanet@kym.net/msg00297.html.

Mr. Abu Mayanja also reacted to the excesses of the 1967Constitution. Mr. Mayanja, too, was rewarded with detention and similar charges. The Chief Magistrate, Mr. Siaed, threw the charges, which were also pressed against Mr. Rajat Neogy as the editor of the Transition magazine, out of court. The judgment was published in Transition.

Less well known is the fact that the 1967 “pigeon-hole” constitution was Nkurumah's brainchild. Mr. Nkurumah "lent" Obote a Senior Parliamentary Legal Draftsman”, one C.V. Crabbe, who crafted that document. In those days Uganda was in essence a colony of Ghana. The details are in “KWAME NKRUMAH’S PRESENCE IN A. M. OBOTE’S UGANDA: A Study in the Convergence of International and Comparative Politics” by Opuku Agyeman, Transition 48 (1975).  I’ll put this bwino on Fedsnet in a separate post.

What befuddles me is why these articles are not at the web site of Kituo cha Katiba, which is part of the Makerere University’s Faculty of Law, and advertises itself as “East African Centre for Constitutional Development”. I’d hate to think that an institution of higher learning is in the habit of presenting one-sided arguments to its students, and the world, laying itself open to charges of attempting to airbrush history.

"M. Kibuka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Sseruganda Kasangwawo,

Thanks a million times; this to me exerts what I said somewhere else that
there is a thin line that separates this constitution and that of 1995. I
hope that a learned friend will endeavour to illustrate this thin line.

Nonetheless, Akena Adoko responded to the Haji thus, in transition 33:

"The Uganda Revolution which took place early last year made it clear that
if Uganda was to remain a democracy then it was absolutely necessary to
reorganize that democracy in such a way that the characteristic benefits
which generally emanate from democratic governments were not interfered
with, and in such a way that certain evils such as hereditary monarchy,
excessive crime, separatist tendencies, and weakness of the Central
Government were eradicated, or, as far as possible, neutralized."

And here come some more:

"The critics of the presidential powers tend to overlook two things. First,
that there is also danger in failing to concentrate sufficient powers to
carry out governmental functions in the hands of the executive. I would
personally hate to see, once more, the progress of the country hampered by
struggles for power as nearly happened last year. If advanced countries like
the U.S.A. and Britain have to take precautions against this kind of
situation why not countries like Uganda and other African states whose
governments, because of the backwardness of the countries, have more
extensive functions?

"Secondly the critics tend to overlook the fact that the powers vested in
the President are those which enable him to control the business of
government, and not necessarily to execute it himself. So overwhelming is
government business that no single person can do it himself or even consent
to try do so. This is why we have a ca binet and ministers in charge of
various ministries, the Public Service Commission, Uganda Electricity Board,
and Uganda Development Corporation etc., to help carry out certain
governmental functions. In spite of this fact, that the executive powers are
delegated and distributed, the vesting of such powers in the hands of one
man ensures that somebody, and not an anonymous mass, must be held
responsible by and directly accountable to the people of the country for the
way the government powers are used."

I'm currently looking for means to publish this stuff for the wider public,
so one see for him/her self how confused certain minds are.

Have a good day.

Cheers, M. Kibuka
Federalism is the only way forward
http://www.federo.com