| ENTEBBE
PRESIDENT Paul Kagame of Rwanda yesterday cancelled his visit to Uganda at the last minute, leading to speculation that the relations between the two neighbouring countries were taking a turn for the worst.
Three ministers and two ambassadors and full presidential security and convoy had waited for Kagame for two and a half hours at Entebbe International Airport. The Minister of Works and Communications, John Nasasira, had been delegated by President Museveni to receive Kagame who was to attend the Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (Fara), which is going on at Entebbe Resort Hotel. "The visit of President Kagame has been delayed for sometime, we will let you know when it will be there," the Chief of Protocol in the Foreign Affairs Ministry, Mr Ahmed Ssenyomo, told the Daily Monitor. He declined to give reasons for the delay.
But a Rwandan official, who preferred anonymity, said that Kagame was angered by Ugandan Foreign Minister Sam Kutesa's refe
rence to
last week's hold up of President Museveni's presidential convoy "as silly and infantile."
Mr Museveni's convoy was split into two at the Rwanda-Uganda Katuna border post, forcing some of the cars back to Uganda. The others were allowed to proceed with the President to Kigali for the Comesa conference.
The incident has sparked off a diplomatic row between the two countries. On Sunday, Kutesa said in a statement that "While the Uganda government does not want to be distracted by such a silly and infantile incident, we cannot accept lies being told about our officials."
Sovereignty The Rwandan authorities described the incident as a "blatant violation of its territorial sovereignty" by Uganda officials. Kigali had earlier accused Ugandan security of having carried extra guns and more than the agreed number of vehicles in the president's convoy.
Kagame's visit was expected to mark the beginning of diplomatic efforts to end the quarrels. Rwanda's Head of External and Internal Security Services, Dr Emanuel Ndahiro, and Rwandan Agriculture Minister and Ambassador to Uganda had turned up early to meet Kagame at Entebbe.
Minister Nasasira arrived at the VIP lounge around 11 am, when Kagame was reportedly supposed to land. The President's son, Maj. Muhoozi Kainerugaba, commanded the Presidential Guard Brigade at the Airport. At 1.30 pm a cancellation call came in and soon after all the officials left the airport. Maj. Muhoozi's security detail was immediately withdrawn.
Additional reporting
by
Lominda Afedraru |