"But some party members claim that forces which brought Miria to the party
presidency, were using her as a "safety valve" to ward off the democratic
forces that were taking root within the party."

  Who are these so called "democratic forces" within the UPC?  What is their
agenda? Maria, the Party President ,is doing a good job in challenging   the
many policies of the NRM Military dictatorship which has over the 20 years
destroyed our country .

  Those who are giving Maria a hard time must be forewarned that the people of
Uganda are tired of this politics of manipulation which many have used to
destroy the UPC.. this time around we are watching you with a hawks eyes.

  Matek

  Matek

  Uganda: I'm Here to Stay - Miria

                                         Email This Page

Print This Page
                The Monitor (Kampala)
  November 23, 2006
Posted to the web November 22, 2006
  Joseph Miti
Kampala
  UGANDA Peoples Congress President Miria Kalule Obote yesterday said she is
not planning to step down soon.
  Miria was addressing journalists at Uganda House.
  "I am aware of a clique plotting to overthrow me and they claim that I should
step down but this will not happen," she said. "Those who want me to step down
should think of other things because I am here to stay."
                        Relevant Links            East Africa
Uganda
  There has been unrest within UPC, with some members accusing the party leader
of being weak. She has also faced trouble over the control of her former
husband's property, Milton Obote Foundation (MOF)
  But some party members claim that forces which brought Miria to the party
presidency, were using her as a "safety valve" to ward off the democratic
forces that were taking root within the party.
  Miria criticised the government for its attack on the Forum for Democratic
Change whose rally police dispersed last Saturday. She said the brutal breaking
up of the FDC rally, which was organised to launch the sale of party membership
cards, showed lack of constitutionalism and democracy in the country.