UGANDA PEOPLES CONGRESS
 NATIONAL SECRETARIAT
 Plot8-10 Kampala Road,  Uganda House, P.O. Box 37047, Kampala  Phone/Fax:
+256-41-236748
 PRESS STATEMENT
 (Embargoed for release at 11.00am  11th July, 2007 )
 TOTAL INSTITUTIONAL BREAKDOWN
  1.      The Uganda Peoples Congress notes with great concern the breakdown of
governance institutions in our country. The institutions which are supposed to
be the primary engine in delivering services to the citizens, have had their
powers usurped by a limping presidency and multiple adhoc operations .

  2.      The current Nakasero saga where vendors have appealed to president
Museveni over their fate and ownership of the market is a case in point. They
have vowed to listen only to the President and not anyone else including KCC,
Ministry of Local Government and the police. This saga is the result of lack of
national policy on markets and breakdown of the institution of local
governments and procurement and disposal of public assets.

  3.      The issuance of a presidential directive to halt the sale of Nakasero
market is not only an abuse of office by the limping presidency but a total
violation of rules on procurement and disposal of public assets. This rule sets
standard procedures for acquiring and leasing of public assets including
markets. Why must the presidential directive take precedence over the laws? The
presidency, Ministry of Local government and KCC are all guilty of violating
the laws of the land.

  4.      The Balaalo problem which should have been handled by the District
Land Tribunals and Uganda Land Commission has been mismanaged by the president
sending Gen. David Tinyefuza, the coordinator of intelligence and security
services to sort out an essentially land and political problems. The entire
land institutions which have the manpower and skills to handle land disputes
have been sidelined.

  5.      The controversy surrounding the award of CHOGM tender is another
manifestation of institutional break down. After cancellation of Mr. Wavamuno
car deal, there was no re-advertisement of the tender. The national CHOGM task
force headed by the Vice President is instead embroiled in fighting with other
big personality in government whose interest is siphoning the CHOGM funds as
opposed to offering quality services.

  6.      Recently there has been demobilization of part of the army. When it
came to the PGB Super Brigade, thousands of officers and men who had been
cleared by the Army Appointment and Commission Board to voluntary retire, had
their retirement stopped by President Museveni while hundreds were forced into
illegal detention. If the institutions of the military can not be allowed to
operate according to the UPDF Act and other enabling laws, then Uganda's slide
to a one man rule appears imminent.

 It's unlikely that President Museveni will relent and allow public
institutions to play their rightful roles in  Uganda's polity. The trend
towards more dictatorial rule is bound to continue.

  7.      For its part the UPC will continue to mobilize and reorganize in
readiness to rescue  Uganda from the ruins that the Museveni led NRM has dumped
our motherland in.    Only yesterday UPC was able to reclaim the office of the
Lira District Speaker from the NRM and their independent friends.  As we stated
two weeks ago, this trend is unstoppable. We call upon all Ugandans to join UPC
in preparation to rescue this once beautiful country from the jaws of NRM bad
leadership and restore it to institutional rule.
 FOR GOD AND MY COUNTRY.

 MAMA MIRIA KALULE OBOTE
 PARTY PRESIDENT
 Notes for Editors

 - More information on UPC and these specific matters can be found in our
website at www.upcparty.net
 -We actively encourage you to visit the President's Corner and in particular
access 'Notes on Concealment of Genocide in  Uganda"