Hello Mitayo,

You are on the money. Even Alan Greenspan today admitted, under
congressional questioning, that he now sees the light that relying solely on
the mechanics of the free hand of the market is not the cure-all on economic
matters. If he had said that, even six months ago, the neo-cons would have
lambasted him as a turn-coat.

The case of Uganda is one of the sad stories of this wild, Wild West economic
philosophy imposed by the IMF/World Bank. The quick fire sales of parastatal
bodies, the crumbling infrastructures, the messed-up delivery of healthcare,
etc are all tied to this mindset.

Kenya may have lucked out when the IMF/World Bank refused to deal with it under
the Moi era. You can see the result when sane people took over. The airport and
the roads usually are telltale signs of how a country is doing. Passing through
Kenya in the 90s as compared to today tells one a story of two different
nations.

Where does Uganda go from here?
First, that man in state house no longer has anything he can give to Uganda .
We need a completely new set of people who are smart enough to design a genuine
pro-people game plan. The alternative is a dire future which will be compounded
by the so-called development partners tightening their belts and throwing less
in the state bowl.

Keep the spirit, bro.

Odiya
Odiyatalks