Congo-Kinshasa: Rwanda, DRC Draw up FDLR Disarmament Plan

  [image: The New Times (Kigali)] <http://www.newtimes.co.rw/>

*Email*<http://allafrica.com/sendpage.html?ref=http://allafrica.com/stories/200811260014.html>This
Page

*Print* <http://allafrica.com/stories/printable/200811260014.html> This Page


*Comment*<http://allafrica.com/comments/new/aans/post/post/id/200811260014.html>on
this article

The New Times <http://www.newtimes.co.rw/> (Kigali)

26 November 2008
Posted to the web 26 November 2008

Felly Kimenyi
Kigali

Military chiefs from Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo)
have drawn up a disarmament plan for rebels of the Democratic Forces for the
Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR).

According to security sources, the plan was designed during a meeting held
in Gisenyi that brought together the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. James
Kabarebe and Gen. Denis Kalume Numbi who commands the Congolese Armed Forces
(FARDC) in the Eastern region.
 The meeting was a follow-up to a similar one that brought together the two
countries' Foreign Affairs Ministers, Rosemary Museminali of Rwanda and DR
Congo's Alexis Tambwe Mwamba, last week. The Ministers agreed on sharing
military information as a solution to the FDLR plan.

During the same meeting, military chiefs of both countries were tasked with
drawing up a plan which would be presented for ministerial approval.

"The two generals and their delegations met in Rubavu town and they
formulated a plan that will be examined and possibly validated by a
ministerial meeting expected to take place next week in Goma," said the
source who requested to remain anonymous.

It was agreed during the ministerial meeting that Rwandan intelligence
officers be part of the military structure to help eradicate the FDLR who
have been in the country for the last fourteen years.

The latest development comes after several agreements that were signed in an
effort to flush out the FDLR, labelled both a terrorist group and a negative
force by the United States of America, were frustrated by the unwillingness
of the DR Congo to solve the problem.

The agreements include the Pretoria Agreement, the Lusaka Agreement, and
other efforts by the regional security platform, the Tripartite Plus Joint
Commission (TPJC) which brings together Rwanda, Burundi, Uganda and the DR
Congo.

Most recently, the Nairobi communiqué was signed by both countries in an
effort to deal with the FDLR which is reportedly fighting alongside the
Congolese armed forces in their ongoing clashes with Gen. Laurent Nkunda's
National Congress for the Defence of the People (CNDP).
Meanwhile, the Defence Minister Monday told parliament that meetings under a
'four plus four' platform on which high ranking officials from both
countries sit have been going on
_______________________________________________
Ugandanet mailing list
[email protected]
http://kym.net/mailman/listinfo/ugandanet
% UGANDANET is generously hosted by INFOCOM http://www.infocom.co.ug/


The above comments and data are owned by whoever posted them (including 
attachments if any). The List's Host is not responsible for them in any way.
---------------------------------------

Reply via email to