Re:Why Gawaya-Tegulle is wrong on licensing
journalists<http://www.ugandarecord.co.ug/index.php?issue=26&article=324&seo=Why%20Gawaya-Tegulle%20is%20wrong%20on%20licensing%20journalists>
Hallo Mr. Musaazi-Namiti,No wonder that  the "Monitor" Newspaper  has now
become a dirty rag !!With skunks like Gawaya-Tegulle, Onyango-Obbo, etc....
it was just a matter of time.Only that I feel sad for the few decent folks,
like Bernard Tabaire, etc....But Al Jazeera too is heading in the same
direction. They seem to think that if they try to be more Fox than Fox News
the racist Zionist WASP slavemaster will stop to demonize Islam. Why not
take a leaf from, say,  Press TV, and stand on your legs, with honour and
dignity.Mitayo Potosi.========================

<http://www.ugandarecord.co.ug/index.php?issue=26&article=324&seo=Why%20Gawaya-Tegulle%20is%20wrong%20on%20licensing%20journalists>Why
Gawaya-Tegulle is wrong on licensing journalists
<http://www.ugandarecord.co.ug/index.php?issue=26&article=324&seo=Why%20Gawaya-Tegulle%20is%20wrong%20on%20licensing%20journalists>

The Daily Monitor's logo and tag line.
  * By Musaazi Namiti*
Daily Monitor's columnist Tom Gawaya-Tegulle recently wrote an article
calling for the licensing of Ugandan journalists and allowing only those
with diplomas and degrees to become journalists ("A test case for
professionalisation of the media", October 17, 2009).

His contention was that this would enhance professionalism. In retrospect,
he was echoing the words of minister Eriya Kategaya, who while chairing a
cabinet sub-committee on press issues in April 1995, was quoted by the
government-owned New Vision as saying: "We don't want people to wake up and
just become journalists when the role they play is vital in society."

The remarks were made while debate on a bill that led to the enactment of
the Press and Journalists Statute, 1995 was going on. In his article,
Gawaya-Tegulle also referred to this law which established a Media Council
tasked with licensing and disciplining journalists.

"As a country we must insist on a university degree and a minimum of a
diploma in journalism before a license is issued," he wrote. "If journalism
is to be respected as a profession, tighter controls must be imposed by
raising the standard of who qualifies to rule the airwaves and the press
pages."

Gawaya-Tegulle is a respected journalist with many years of experience in
both the print and broadcast media. What's more, he has studied or is
studying law, but his article creates the impression that he does not even
know that licensing journalists contravenes the supreme law of the land, the
constitution.

I reflected on his article, and I have to say it is hard to think of a more
absurd statement from someone who knows or should know much more than the
man in the streets.

Journalism is about freedom of expression. It is at it its best in countries
where journalists are free to write or broadcast just about anything.
Enacting laws that require people to have university degrees or diplomas in
journalism before they can work for newspapers, news websites, news
magazines, radio or television stations deprives them of freedom of
expression.

Civilised countries continue to reject the notion that journalists can only
be allowed to work if they have degrees. Brazil's Supreme Court, for
example, recently overturned a law that requires a journalism degree for
practising journalists.

Chief Justice Gilmar Mendes said that journalism "is connected to the broad
exercise of freedom of expression and information, and the degree
requirement goes against the Constitution, which guarantees those freedoms".

A quick look at our own Constitution (I hope Gawaya-Tegulle reads it) shows
that Chapter 4 talks about fundamental rights and freedoms of the individual
which are "inherent and not granted by the state".

The Constitution states that the "rights and freedoms of the individual and
groups enshrined in this chapter shall be respected, upheld and promoted by
all organs and agencies of government and by all persons (including, I
suppose, Tom Gawaya-Tegulle)".

In article 29 (clause 1), the constitution says "every person shall have the
right to freedom of speech and expression which shall include freedom of the
press and other media".

The Constitution does not say that freedom of press and other media will be
a preserve of people who hold a university degree or a diploma in
journalism.

Journalism is not law; it is not medicine. We are seeing citizen journalists
with blogs multiplying like malarial microbes, and this is never going to be
reversed. You may refuse to call bloggers journalists but given the broad
definition of journalism, they are and will always be – even without college
degrees.

Some of the world's leading news organisations like the BBC hire journalists
without considering academic qualifications at all. In its handbook, The
Basics – Our Values, Your Career, the BBC clearly states: "Most people think
you need a degree or some sort of media qualification to start a career with
the BBC, which is simply not true. We're often far more concerned with your
interests, knowledge and relevant work experience than which exams you have
passed."

I could go on and on reeling off names of people who are or have been great
journalists without journalism diplomas and degrees, but they are too many
to be adequately dealt with in a mere article.

By calling for the licensing of journalists, Gawaya-Tegulle is in effect
saying that the state should reserve the right to allow people what to write
in newspapers and say on the airwaves. The state can easily deny those whose
work it is not happy with the right to practise journalism.

The absurdity of Gawaya-Tegulle's proposal is that besides taking away
freedom of expression, it can only be implemented at the cost of many news
organisations. Newspapers and radio stations in Kampala rely on
correspondents in rural areas who are not graduates or journalism diploma
holders to file stories.

While unprofessionalism in the media can be attributed to untrained people,
the real problem is that organisations such as the Media Council, which
should regulate the media, are weak. They do not work in the real sense of
the word, and have allowed news organisations, especially radio stations, to
get away with murder.

I am for training and I think well-trained journalists often do a great job,
but not always. I also know perfectly well that universities and the
qualifications they give students cannot stop journalists from being
unprofessional.

Kampala boasts of a newspaper called the Red Pepper which prints false
stories every so often, and pays scant attention to good ethical behaviour
as we know it. But this paper is run by graduates one of whom – horror of
horrors – has been teaching journalism in some colleges in Kampala. A former
editor at the Red Pepper, J.B. Waswa, also has a college degree and has been
teaching news writing at Makerere University's Department of Mass
Communication.

In August 2005, Andrew Mwenda, a well-known and highly educated Kampala
journalist, used the airwaves to insult President Yoweri Museveni and even
threatened to go to State House in Nakasero and remove him from power. His
justification for this unprofessional conduct was that since Museveni
insults journalists by calling them "vultures", he should also be insulted.

This goes to show that if we think, like Gawaya-Tegulle, that having
journalists with diplomas and degrees is the solution to unprofessionalism,
and that we can deprive non-graduates of the right to freedom of expression
because they will succumb to unprofessional conduct, we are dead wrong.

You can have unprofessional conduct among graduate journalists and
non-graduates.

I think we can eliminate unprofessionalism in the media by creating an
effective regulatory body like the Press Complaints Commission and Ofcom in
the UK.

This body can do its job while news organisations continue hiring those with
the qualifications that they want, without enforcing laws that lock people
out of a profession they have the right to be part of.

Musaazi Namiti is Al Jazeera's online news editor based in Doha, Qatar. The
views expressed in this article are his own.

robymusa...@hotmail.com