*Re: AU high-level observer team members troop in

Hey Zimbabwe, watch out for your carpets.
Don't allow Obasanjo to walk on them and soil them.

Obasanjo undermined Zimbabwe when him and Tony Blair** relocated the white
farmers to Nigeria.

In the Biafra war Obasanjo looted every Bank from Lagos to Port Harcourt.

He also was part of the plan to kill Abiola. He was the main beneficiary of
Abiola's assassination.

Working against the AU, he sent Charles Taylor to the ICC pleading with GW
Bush to allow him, for this betrayal, to rule Nigeria for another term.
Even with Taylor at the ICC Bush refused.

It is a terrible insult for Obasanjo to even step in Zimbabwe as an
election observer.

He sabotaged the "United States of Africa" project in Sirte, Libya.

He is a stinking piece of s*** that is selling out our continent.
 *
*AU high-level observer team members troop in*  [image:
PDF]<http://www.herald.co.zw/index.php?view=article&catid=37%3Atop-stories&id=88411%3Aau-high-level-observer-team-members-troop-in&format=pdf&option=com_content&Itemid=130>
 [image:
Print]<http://www.herald.co.zw/index.php?view=article&catid=37%3Atop-stories&id=88411%3Aau-high-level-observer-team-members-troop-in&tmpl=component&print=1&layout=default&page=&option=com_content&Itemid=130>
 [image:
E-mail]<http://www.herald.co.zw/index.php?option=com_mailto&tmpl=component&link=58091e92a3e798a3a3cb38e990766399f48fd7cc>

7<http://www.herald.co.zw/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88411:au-high-level-observer-team-members-troop-in&catid=37:top-stories&Itemid=130#>
  Wednesday, 24 July 2013 01:44
 View
Comments<http://www.herald.co.zw/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=88411:au-high-level-observer-team-members-troop-in&catid=37:top-stories&Itemid=130#disqus_thread>

**
*

*
*Zvamaida Murwira Senior Reporter *

Members of the African Union high-level observer team began arriving in
Harare yesterday with commissioner for political affairs, Dr Aisha
Abdullahi, touching down ahead of the Head of the Short-Term Observer
Mission, Mr Olusegun Obasanjo and AU Commission chairperson, Dr Nkosazana
Zuma, who are expected today.

Mr Obasanjo is former president of Nigeria.

Speaking on arrival at Harare International Airport, Dr Abdullahi, who has
been seized with Zimbabwe since last week, said the team has 70 members,
including the 10 who been in the country since last month.

“The African Union has the mandate to observe parliamentary, presidential
or general elections like you have here, in all the 54 member states. We
are here to do just that,” she said.

She said their coming was a culmination of a deployment that began with the
10-member long-term observer team that came into the country on June 15
2013.
“The election is important for us as African Union, our quality of
observation has improved and we should do just that,” she said.

Asked why the AU communiqué of a meeting held last week was silent on
claims by some quarters that there was a “securitisation of the State”, Dr
Abdullahi said Justice and Legal Affairs Minister Patrick Chinamasa
explained to members’ satisfaction the situation in Zimbabwe when he came
to Addis Ababa last week.

“That issue was raised but he addressed it adequately and it is no longer
an issue anymore. We were convinced by the explanation he gave us,” she
said.
Asked why there had been a lot of interest across the globe on the
Zimbabwean election, Dr Abdullahi said Harare was an integral member of the
continental body. “Zimbabwe is an important member of the African Union. We
are interested, we are happy to be here and we are going to observe the
election,” she said.

Dr Abdullahi said the mission would be in Zimbabwe until after the
elections.
She said their advance mission had been giving them updates, hence they had
an appreciation of the situation on the ground.
“They have been sending us reports and we shall be sharing with you in our
pre-election statement on July 25, if you can be patient with us,” she said.
Asked if the 70-member team was adequate to cover the whole country, Dr
Abdullahi said the figure of 70 was the standard number that they had used
in other countries and no problems had been encountered.

“They are efficient and they will be reporting from the field,” she said.
Zambian legislator Mr Patrick Mucheleka, who is part of the AU observer
team said that Zimbabweans should be allowed to choose a leader of their
choice.
He said that Africa must have entrenched democracies and good governance,
noting that conflicts were inevitable in the absence of these.

“Under the African Union, we have the African Charter, democracy, elections
and good governance. When you read the charter, it tries to prescribe some
kind of standards of basic free and fair elections. That is what we are
going to look at,” said Mucheleka.

“Whether the elections will meet these benchmarks or not, our desire in
Zimbabwe and any other African country is to ensure democracy and good
governance is entrenched. The rest is up to the Zimbabwean people
themselves.”

Meanwhile, South African President Jacob Zuma’s outspoken International
Relations advisor Ms Lindiwe Zulu is coming to Zimbabwe this week to
observe the July 31 harmonised elections.

Ms Zulu is part of the facilitation team whose team leader Mr Charles
Nqakula arrived in the country yesterday.
On his arrival at the Harare International Airport, Mr Nqakula told ZBC
that Ms Zulu was heading to Zimbabwe.

He said her utterances on Zimbabwe were unfortunate.
“She will be coming of course tomorrow or the following day. She will be
coming. It was not our responsibility (to issue statements on Zimbabwe).
Our responsibilities was to talk about technical issues,” said Mr Nqakula.
Mr Nqakula said Zimbabwe had generated a lot of interest because it was an
important African country.
*
*