Hallo Hon Betty Kamya,

*Re: **National Referendum to reduce the powers of the President through
Devolution***

Please thank you very much for putting the case for Uganda’s Institutional
Reform, so succinctly.

Indeed I feel that it would be tragic if the Government of Uganda changed
now, before we have had a chance for a National Dialogue for  Constitutional
Review and Renewal.

Hon Kamya you talked about Dr Besigye’s ”Walk to Work”.

It is the same old militarism devoid of concrete policy proposals.

 It is the same old “m7 has got to go”.  And we already know that.

But also it is only us Ugandans that are legally entitled to change the
leaders. Not another single person.

 So I would rather hear Dr Besigye champion specific policy initiatives to
address  the problems and tasks that face us now.

I am a Maths Teacher, and am very worried about the total backwardness and
poverty of our Maths.

Uganda’s or East Africa’s School Mathematics covers from antiquity and
stops on around 1860.  That is all Mercantile Maths.

There is a gap of a 100 year’s worth of modern Maths that Uganda is
missing.  Uganda’s present A.L. Maths does not prepare you for any of the
Modern Sciences; that is danger we face. Genetics needs a certain Maths.
Not the old shopkeeper’s type. Digital needs its own Maths too, etc… etc….

In the world today any innumerate population is just heading for suicide
and extinction.

Dr Ruhakana Rugunda says we have to count our Scientists. We did that more
than ten years ago. We zeroed in on Biology and Maths. I passed the whole
set of seven A.L. Maths Syllabuses to Dr Nkuuhe who passed them on to Dr
Rwendeire, who never  had a chance to effect the overdue School  Mathematics
Renewal.

NB Instead of the one A.L. Maths we need to make it seven Subjects. i.e.

1.     The A.L. Maths already in Uganda. i.e. Analytical Geometry and
Calculus.

2.     Discrete Maths - Combinatorics and Statistics.

3.     Classical Mechanics – including “Generalised Coordinates”,
Introduction to Lagrangian Mechanics.

4.     Introductory Linear Algebra.

5.     Abstract Algebra – Groups, Rings and Fields.

6.     Maths for Technical Studies i.e. for Accounting, Building and
Construction, Book Keeping, Home Economics, etc…

7.     Maths for the Gifted – to be offered in only one or two Schools.

Finally in A.L. Physics we need to throw away the “Modern Physics” part of
the A.L. Curriculum and replace it with Introductory Quantum Mechanics.
Introduction to the Dirac formalism of vectors.

Sorry Hon  Kamya if I am too technical, but our country cries out for
urgent attention on this matter of life and death.

Thank you.

Mitayo Potosi