And it was the very cost of his leadership. It is vital we make that statement. 
AMO would have become a life president he only needed to be brutal and he was 
not that strong to be..

 

So help me God.

 

EM
On the 49th

 

 

           Thé Mulindwas Communication Group
"With Yoweri Museveni and Dr. Kiiza Besigye Uganda is in anarchy"
           Kuungana Mulindwa Mawasiliano Kikundi
"Pamoja na Yoweri Museveni na Dk. Kiiza Besigye Uganda ni katika machafuko"

 

From: [email protected] 
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Gook
Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2013 9:33 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: {UAH} I tried to kill Obote for attacking the Kabaka’s palace - 
Commentary - monitor.co.ug

 

Ocen,

Such kindness was his "Achilles-heal"?

 

Sent from Gook's iPatch!

 

 

"What you are we once were, what we are   you shall be!"

An inscription on the walls of a Roman catacomb.


On 16 sep 2013, at 03:15, Ocen Nekyon <[email protected]> wrote:

Gook;

 

AMO practically saved his (Sebaduka'a) neck twice from the hang man's noose.

 

 

Ocen

 

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.


From: Gook

Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2013 21:09

To: [email protected]

Reply To: [email protected]

Subject: Re: {UAH} I tried to kill Obote for attacking the Kabaka’s palace - 
Commentary - monitor.co.ug

 

Ocen,

You don't say! Now that really isn't fair!....

I am surprised he hasn't been awarded the medal of " Dammu".....yet?

 

Sent from Gook's iPatch!

 

 

"What you are we once were, what we are   you shall be!"

An inscription on the walls of a Roman catacomb.


On 16 sep 2013, at 03:01, Ocen Nekyon <[email protected]> wrote:

Gook;

 

 

Even the fellow who shot him (AMO) in Lugogo is still alive today.

 

 

 

Ocen

 

 

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.


From: Gook

Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2013 20:52

To: [email protected]

Reply To: [email protected]

Subject: Re: {UAH} I tried to kill Obote for attacking the Kabaka’s palace - 
Commentary - monitor.co.ug

 

Ocen,

And this man lived to tell the tale? Let someone try this " shit" on M7 now and 
we see where that takes him...if not (6 feet under)!

 

Sent from Gook's iPatch!

 

 

"What you are we once were, what we are   you shall be!"

An inscription on the walls of a Roman catacomb.


On 15 sep 2013, at 19:20, Ocen Nekyon <[email protected]> wrote:

http://www.monitor.co.ug/OpEd/Commentary/I+tried+to+kill+Obote+for+attacking+the+Kabaka+s+palace/-/689364/1992330/-/sl8vmxz/-/index.html

 

 

 

 


I tried to kill Obote for attacking the Kabaka’s palace - Commentary


Mr Kamanyi with his grandchild during the interview. Photo by Henry Lubega 

The 1966 attack on the Lubiri was the peak of the souring relationship between 
Mengo and Obote. Months after the attack, an attempt on Obote’s life was made 
only to hit his deputy John Babiiha. Sunday Monitor’s Henry Lubegatracked down 
Dan Kamanyi, the brain behind the first attempt on a sitting president’s life 
in Uganda.

When Milton Obote attacked the Lubiri, some of us were not happy that the 
Baganda had not reacted. I and five friends decided to respond to Obote the 
best way he could understand.
I organised a group of six people, four of them - John Obo, Henry Kyeyune, Capt 
Mugarura and Katabarwa - were cadets just dismissed from the army and were 
bitter. Others were Dan Kiwanuka and me. 
We started planning on how and where we could hit Obote from. Ambushing him was 
the easiest option but knowing when and where he was going was hard. We 
identified a spot around Seguku on Entebbe Road, where we planned to mount our 
machine guns one on each side of the road with the road down in the valley; we 
had procured the machine guns from Somalia.

Luzira pass out
As we finalised the details of the ambush, lady luck smiled on us with the 
announcement that the president was to preside over the pass out of prison 
warders at Luzira prison.

We immediately started planning. Capt Mugarura and I surveyed the road for the 
ambush spot. Opposite the soap factory where there is a petrol station now was 
the chosen spot. 
Having got the spot, on the D-day we parked our machines in bags and carried 
them to the site in broad day light. Our plan was to get him before he reaches 
Luzira.

Capt Mugarura planned the sketch, how the machines would be placed and the 
trajectory of the bullets. With everything in place, the five took their 
positions and I returned to the road. Slightly above the ambush spot on the 
road to Mutungo was another getaway car after the shooting. The dignitaries 
started passing and we waited for the big fish. I kept surveying the road while 
the others kept their positions. 
Towards evening, we had not seen Obote’s convoy. As I waited around Sliver 
Springs Hotel, I saw a major coming from Luzira. We knew each other. He was 
coming to help a female friend of his whose car had broken down around there. 
We talked briefly and I used the chance to gather some intelligence on what was 
happening in Luzira. He told me all was going on well and that the president 
was already there. He also told me the function was likely to end late as there 
was a dance there after. I learnt we had missed Obote and I passed on the 
information to my colleagues who decided to wait even if it meant sleeping in 
the bush.

At around 10pm, I was sent to get them something to eat since we didn’t know 
for how long we were to stay at the ambush spot. Before I came back, a convoy 
with the police siren car came. When the boys heard it, they got ready and 
opened fire at the right time.

The attack
As the firing started, Futali, who was incorporated in the plan last to drive 
the getaway car, got the car from its hiding near the soap factory. He knew the 
escape route. As soon as the team jumped in the car, he headed to Namugongo at 
my father’s farm where they dropped the guns before dispersing.
As I turned off at Nakawa to take the food, vehicles from Kampala were not 
allowed to go towards Luzira. I immediately knew what had happened. I turned 
and went back home. It was not until the next morning that we heard on the news 
that it was Babiiha who was shot at not Obote.

Different security agencies combed the scene of attack. When they found the 
sticks Capt Mugarura, who had trained in Israel, used to make a sketch, the 
investigating team realised the people behind the mission were not ordinary 
bandits. I also learnt after my arrest that the dogs they had brought to trace 
us failed due to the powdered pepper we sprinkled around the place.

The aftermath 
I afterwards went back to work in industrial area and life was back to normal. 
But I never got to know how they got to connect me to the attempt. I suspect 
they got wind of my involvement in Mutesa’s escape and started following me. 
For almost a week every morning, there were two vehicles parked near my 
compound one at each end, trying to find out which people I was in contact with.
One evening in March 1967, as I returned from work, I saw a Land Rover parked 
in the corner of my compound. As I parked, Special Force soldiers got - out all 
pointing guns at me. I just laughed as I knew it was all over. I don’t know how 
they got to suspect me but I think my former girlfriend Lillian must have given 
me away. They had surrounded the house, including the banana plantation near 
the house.

When I entered the house, the plain cloth guys were already searching the 
house. There was a chicken pen in the compound. When they ransacked it they 
found a box full of bullets and a pistol. 
As soon as the news of my arrest got to Namugongo, my mother got rid of the 
guns kept there by throwing them in one of the cow water drinking ponds at the 
end of the farm. From my home in Lunguja, I was driven to the farm and the 
search continued.

Realising that the farm was big, the security operatives brought almost the 
entire police college in Kibuli to search the farm, but they were getting 
nothing. They must have had an informant, who tipped them off about the ponds. 
They brought fire brigade trucks to empty them and at the bottom were the guns 
used in the ambush.

When I was arrested, the rest fled the country. And since I was not ready to 
reveal anyone involved, the operatives arrested my former girlfriend to tell 
them which people I dealt with. When they learnt that they had fled to Nairobi, 
she was taken to Nairobi to help identify them. She was taken by a female 
police woman, Martha. When they left Kampala, word reached guys in Nairobi that 
Lillian was under arrest and on her way to identify them.
Murder in Nairobi
The boys in Nairobi waylaid Lillian and Martha, kidnapped, and killed them. 
Their bodies were put in gunny bags and dropped in Arthi River. A Masai 
herdsman who had taken his cattle to drink water saw the bags and alerted police
The other team which followed had reported its missing partners to the Kenyan 
police. When two female bodies were recovered they were called to identify 
them. This opened another lid in the hunt as the Kenyan government had not been 
alerted about Uganda’s police being in their territory. 
The Kenyan authorities started looking for five guys, but only three - Obo, 
Kiwanuka and Kyeyune - were the killers. They were pinned down at Stanley 
Hotel. At the hotel the boys also had paid off the people at the front desk to 
tip them off in case police came to the hotel. They were tipped off as police 
made its way to third floor where they were staying and jumped through the 
windows and ran away.

The group separated. That’s when police started picking them one after the 
other, and all the three who participated in the kidnap were hanged in Kenya.

The events in Nairobi were relayed to me by Senkoma while in Luzira. He had 
been one of Mutesa’s body guards who had run to Nairobi and was in contact with 
them before their death. He was arrested suspected to be part of the group but 
later released and got arrested when he came back. 
When I was arrested in 1967, I was charged with unlawful possession of guns and 
sentenced to eight years while my father got six years. Later experts linked my 
guns to the cartridges collected from the scene of the ambush, and I was 
charged with attempting to kill the vice president. I was sentenced to life. My 
lawyers appealed to the East African High Court, which also upheld the earlier 
sentence. 
Regaining freedom
While in prison, Obote was over thrown. We heard from visitors that Idi Amin 
was to return Mutesa’s remains. During Duwa prayers at Kibuli on the day 
Mutesa’s remains were returned, the Banganda royals thanked Amin for the 
gesture and also asked him to release me, after explaining what I was charged 
with. The next day in the late afternoon, I heard my name being called. Dan, 
Dan, Dan, the prison warder called me. 
As he opened the door, two senior officers, including Kigonya, the commissioner 
of Prisons came. I was given clean clothes, a barber was called, and after 
shaving I was put in the commissioner’s Benz and driven to Makindye 
Presidential Lodge.

At Makindye, Amin was hosting delegates who had come for burial. He ordered 
that I should be taken to Nakasero Officers Mess, present day Kampala Club, 
where I was kept in the car.
When he came he called for me, and I was ushered in a room where Amin was 
waiting with a pile of papers he called out gwe Dan Kamanyi are you Dan Kamanyi 
I said yes sir.
He started: “kati nze atade gwe naye sagala gwe ademu kukola muntu mubi bwotyo, 
kakati batwale gwe Bamunanika bagambe bantu nze atade gwe nze maze kutegeka 
bamunanika”. ( I am releasing you but I don’t want you to do such bad things 
again, let them take you to Bamunanika and tell people how I have released you.)

That night I was driven in a convoy of vehicles all the way to Bamunanika where 
Mutesa’s body was. My mother came and asked Kigonya if she could talk to me. 
That’s when he told them that the president has set me free. I joined the 
mourners as a free man leaving the life sentence on paper.

What Obote’s principal secretary says

It was in late June 1966, when the tempers over the Lubiri attack were still 
high in Buganda, when the incident happened. We left Luzira Upper Prisons where 
the function had taken place at night. I directed the police lead car to switch 
off its warning lights so that we did not attract attention.
We left the venue almost an hour before the vice president. I was in the same 
car with the president. When we reached Entebbe, we were told that the vice 
president had been attacked around Silver Springs Hotel on his way from Luzira. 
I suspect that had the lead car on our convoy not switched off its warning 
lights, we would have been the target. We were uncertain the attack was in 
retaliation for the Lubiri incident. 
Henry Kyemba

I tried to kill Obote for attacking the Kabaka’s palace - Commentary - 
monitor.co.ug
http://www.monitor.co.ug/OpEd/Commentary/I+tried+to+kill+Obote+for+attacking+the+Kabaka+s+palace/-/689364/1992330/-/item/1/-/ri8hvg/-/index.ht

 









  _____  

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.2242 / Virus Database: 3222/6169 - Release Date: 09/15/13

_______________________________________________
Ugandanet mailing list
[email protected]
http://kym.net/mailman/listinfo/ugandanet

UGANDANET is generously hosted by INFOCOM http://www.infocom.co.ug/

All Archives can be found at http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

The above comments and data are owned by whoever posted them (including 
attachments if any). The List's Host is not responsible for them in any way.
---------------------------------------

Reply via email to