Kenya mall crisis: Hostages not yet released 

By JASON STRAZIUSO 
Associated Press


 


        

 

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) -- Hostages being held by al-Qaida-linked terrorists in
a Nairobi mall have not been released despite an earlier statement from the
military that "most" had been rescued, a person connected to the situation
told The Associated Press on Monday.

Military helicopters circled over the mall at daybreak, when about five
minutes of sustained gunfire broke out inside the Westgate mall, a clear
indication that at least one of the estimated 10 to 15 gunmen who attacked
the mall when it was filled with shoppers Saturday was still on the loose.
More gunfire rang out later, much as it did throughout the day on Sunday. A
military ambulance then sped away from the scene.

Late on Sunday a military spokesman said that "most" of the hostages had
been released. But a person with knowledge of the rescue operation told AP
that no hostages had been released or rescued overnight. The person insisted
on anonymity in order to talk about the rescue response.

Another indication no hostages had been freed: None appeared at the Oshwal
Centre, a squat concrete structure that houses a Hindu temple just next to
the mall that the Red Cross is using as a triage center. Medical workers
attended to at least two wounded Kenyan soldiers there on Monday.

>From Somalia, spokesman Sheik Ali Mohamud Rage for al-Shabab - the militant
group that claimed responsibility for the attack - said in an audio file
posted on a website that the hostage takers had been ordered to "take
punitive action against the hostages" if force was used to try to rescue
them.

Al-Shabab militants reacted angrily on Sunday to the helicopters hovering
over the mall, and warned on Twitter that the Kenyan military action was
endangering hostages.

A large military assault began on the mall shortly before sundown on Sunday,
with one helicopter skimming very close to the roof of the shopping complex
as a loud explosion rang out, far larger than any previous grenade blast or
gunfire volley. Officials said the siege would soon end and said "most"
hostages had been rescued and that officials controlled "most" of the mall.

But officials never said how many hostages had been rescued, and Kenya's
military spokesman on Monday was still not able to provide clear details.

"We are yet to get confirmation from what's happening in the building," Col.
Cyrus Oguna told AP.

Late on Sunday, Kenya's National Disaster Operation Centre said on Twitter
that "this will end tonight. Our forces will prevail."

Oguna had said that many of the rescued hostages - whom he said were mostly
adults - were suffering from dehydration.

As the crisis neared the 48-hour mark, video taken by someone inside the
mall's main department store when the assault began emerged. The video
showed frightened and unsure shoppers crouching as long and loud volleys of
gunfire could be heard.

The assault by Kenyan forces came about 30 hours after al-Shabab extremists
stormed the mall Saturday from two sides, throwing grenades and firing on
civilians.

Kenyan authorities said they would do their utmost to save hostages' lives,
but no officials could say precisely how many people were being held
captive. Kenya's Red Cross said in a statement, citing police, that 49
people had been reported missing. Officials did not make an explicit link
but that number could give an indication of the number of people held
captive.

Kenya's Red Cross said the death toll rose to 68 after nine bodies were
recovered Sunday. More than 175 people were injured, including many
children, Kenyan officials said.

Somalia's al-Qaida-linked rebel group, al-Shabab, said the attack, targeting
non-Muslims, was in retribution for Kenyan forces' 2011 push into
neighboring Somalia.

---

Associated Press reporters Rodney Muhumuza in Nairobi, Kenya and Abdi Guled
in Mogadishu, Somalia contributed to this report.

 

 

           Thé Mulindwas Communication Group
"With Yoweri Museveni and Dr. Kiiza Besigye Uganda is in anarchy"
           Kuungana Mulindwa Mawasiliano Kikundi
"Pamoja na Yoweri Museveni na Dk. Kiiza Besigye Uganda ni katika machafuko"

 

_______________________________________________
Ugandanet mailing list
[email protected]
http://kym.net/mailman/listinfo/ugandanet

UGANDANET is generously hosted by INFOCOM http://www.infocom.co.ug/

All Archives can be found at http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

The above comments and data are owned by whoever posted them (including 
attachments if any). The List's Host is not responsible for them in any way.
---------------------------------------

Reply via email to