DR Congo war continues despite the defeat of M23 fighters last year
By KEVIN J KELLEY Special Correspondent
Posted Saturday, February 1 2014 at 19:02
In Summary
· A new front was opened in the eastern DRC in mid-January when the
government army launched attacks against increasingly active Islamist
fighters known as the Alliance of Democratic Forces-National Army for the
Liberation of Uganda (ADF-NALU).
· The group maintains training camps and well-stocked arsenals in the
Rwenzori Mountains near the DRCs border with Uganda, according to a report
by a UN expert panel.
Violent turmoil is continuing in large parts of the Democratic Republic of
Congo despite the defeat last year of M23, a once-powerful rebel group.
A new front was opened in the eastern DRC in mid-January when the government
army launched attacks against increasingly active Islamist fighters known as
the Alliance of Democratic Forces-National Army for the Liberation of Uganda
(ADF-NALU).
A Congolese government spokesman predicted success for the offensive against
a group advocating the overthrow of Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni.
The ADF is not strong like M23, Lambert Mende told a UN-supported
information network.
They dont enjoy foreign support like M23 did. We are going to defeat them.
The top Ugandan military officer agreed that the campaign against ADF-NALU
is going well.
We are providing and sharing intelligence information with our Congolese
counterparts for the demise of ADF-NALU, Gen Edward Katumba Wamala,
Ugandas Chief of Defence Forces, told the United Nations information
network.
But ADF-NALU which includes as many as 1,400 fighters from Somalia and
Tanzania as well as from Uganda has allegedly been forging links with Al
Shabaab, the UN information network reports.
The group maintains training camps and well-stocked arsenals in the Rwenzori
Mountains near the DRCs border with Uganda, according to a report by a UN
expert panel. ADF-NALU also conducted a looting campaign last year in
apparent preparation for a military offensive.
Following the rout of M23 late last year by a combined Congolese army/UN
combat force, thousands of rebels from various groups surrendered, but
ADF-NALU remained fully intact, the UN reported.
Worries are meanwhile being expressed regarding a possible resurgence by
M23. The UN committee monitoring sanctions against the DRC reported last
week that M23 is recruiting fighters inside Rwanda, with the groups
operatives also moving freely in Uganda. The Security Council unanimously
adopted that report.
Rwanda and Uganda have denied giving support or refuge to M23.
UN monitors have repeatedly cited evidence of such collaboration, however,
with the United States and other powers accepting those findings and urging
Rwanda to cease its backing for rebels inside the DRC.
The US intelligence chief last week offered a cautious and nuanced prognosis
for the eastern DRC as part of his agencys annual global threat assessment.
We judge that M23 will probably not reconstitute and pose a significant
threat to stability in Congo in 2014 without a substantial influx of troops
and other military support from an external partner, Director of National
Intelligence James Clapper told a US Senate committee.
However, Rwanda will probably consider supporting other armed groups in
Congo to secure areas along the border, threatening attempts by the
Congolese government and UN forces to consolidate control of the territory.
Mr Clapper also cited the threat posed by ADF-NALU as well as by the other
major militia active in the eastern DRC: The Democratic Forces for the
Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR). He said these two groups continue to pose
significant risks to civilians and contribute to instability and violence.
Rwanda has frequently accused the DRC government of supporting the FDLR,
which is led by rebels who took part in the 1994 genocide. Congolese
authorities reject that contention.
Thé Mulindwas Communication Group
"With Yoweri Museveni and Dr. Kiiza Besigye Uganda is in anarchy"
Kuungana Mulindwa Mawasiliano Kikundi
"Pamoja na Yoweri Museveni na Dk. Kiiza Besigye Uganda ni katika machafuko"
_______________________________________________
Ugandanet mailing list
[email protected]
http://kym.net/mailman/listinfo/ugandanet
UGANDANET is generously hosted by INFOCOM http://www.infocom.co.ug/
All Archives can be found at http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
The above comments and data are owned by whoever posted them (including
attachments if any). The List's Host is not responsible for them in any way.
---------------------------------------