*To some this is old news, to me and others, it is new !!*EXCLUSIVE: Gen
Sejusa Resistance Coalition Movement Crumbles
  Jul 22, 2014   44 Viewed   admin <http://chimpreports.com/author/admin/>   Be
the First to Comment
<http://chimpreports.com/25476-exclusive-gen-sejusa-resistance-coalition-movement-crumbles/#disqus_thread>
    [image: sejusa_159699194]

A few weeks after stepping in London last year, Sejusa formed what was
known as Free Uganda (FU).

 The group would later hold talks with Citizens for the Defence of the
Constitution (CDC) boss, Col John Ogole thus leading to the birth of
Freedom and Unity Front on October 9, 2013.

The founders hoped the new organisation would “enable Ugandans involved in
the liberation struggle to transcend tribe, cynicisms and all the old
tendencies which caused disunity among the people of Uganda.”

However*, Chimpreports* now understands the coalition force has broken up
due to “high levels of mistrust, suspicion and tribalism.”

Gen Sejusa said in a statement on Tuesday that while “a lot has been
achieved in terms of progress of the struggle in general terms” under the
coalition arrangement, “there have been a number of challenges which have
become increasingly difficult to surmount under the current FU / CDC unity
arrangement.”

Sejusa cited the death of Lt. Col John Ogole this year.

“There was never any integration of the operational structures of FU and
CDC as such. Hence the operations have been more or less cooperative than
unitary. However, with the passing of Col Ogole, many things even those not
necessarily operational have become unclear. This is beginning to be
disruptive,” said Sejusa who was recently declared a deserter by the UPDF.

The former Ugandan spymaster who participated in the NRA liberation war
further pointed out that overtime, “there has cropped up some key
ideological differences between the Unity parties, for example, the
question of how to relate with other opposition groups. Should we be part
of the larger liberation effort or pursue an exclusionist agenda where
everything must rotate around FUF. To what end would this be?”

He added: “How do we treat and ultimately relate with those people who keep
abandoning the regime progressively and even others who may still be stuck
in the NRM and UPDF but who serve the resistance in other forms? Even on
the important question of who is the enemy in Uganda? For instance, is UPDF
as an institution the enemy etc? Because for Free Uganda, the question of
defining the enemy correctly is of huge ideological significance and should
not be glossed over.”

*Analysis*

 While Sejusa intends to portray his rift with opposition forces in
Diaspora as hinged on ideological differences, well placed sources say
majority of Museveni’s enemies did not trust him as a sincere agent of
change.

This was mainly because of his past strong relationship with Museveni.

“Sejusa fought with Museveni in several wars until they captured Kampala.
Their families have been close for decades. When they disagreed Sejusa
later apologised to Museveni and returned to army ranks. Such a man who
does not live by his word cannot be trusted by opposition forces in
Diaspora,” said a source who preferred anonymity so as to speak freely.

According to Eric Kashambuzi, an extremist opposition politician in
Diaspora, “FUF was set up by Sejusa to help him convert from military to
civilian life; but he soon realized he could not convert. He abandoned it
and formed a coalition of military organs because fighting and torturing
people is all he knows.”

Kashambuzi says Sejusa must first understand what opposition forces “have
been doing in the Diaspora where we reside and between us and Ugandans at
home. We have called on Uganda security forces; the youth; gender;
spiritual leaders; civil society organizations to join with us. What Sejusa
is doing is just repeating what we have started and he wants to claim
credit.”

*Character traits*

 This website also understands that during meetings with opposition figures
in London, Sejusa exuded arrogance and regularly despised his colleagues
especially those without military background.

“Sejusa should join with us instead of trying to lead. Sejusa is a novice
in the Diaspora and can’t lead experts. We have demonstrated; we have
written; we have used the radio to reach Ugandans at home and abroad.
Sejusa has nothing new to contribute. His FUF got off to a bad start when a
Ugandan woman was thrown out of the meeting launching FUF. The manifesto
had no strategy of what it would do after capturing power by force,” added
Kashambuzi.

Recently, renegade UPDF Colonel, Samson Mande, slammed Sejusa for being a
hypocrite and working towards the fragmentation of the opposition structure.

“Besigye won in 2006. Why doesn’t his best man Sejusa join him to recover
his victory like Mugisha Muntu did?” wondered Mande, who is also in exile
in Sweden after his rebel group, People’s Redemption Army (PRA), was
annihilated from the jungles of Ituri, DRC, in the early 2000s.

Mande’s remarks came against the backdrop of Sejusa’s claims that Besigye
had won the 2006 presidential election with a 69 percent and that
intelligence agencies which were involved in the rigging of the exercise
had to twist results so as to give Museveni a 59 percent win.

“Instead Sejusa who admits to have been one of those that robbed Besigye’s
victory launches another political party to compete with him instead of
joining the FDC in their bid to recover the lost victory,” Mande charged.

*Atrocities*

 Sources said Sejusa failed to win the hearts of Museveni’s rivals in
Diaspora because of committing atrocities especially among northerners when
he led military operations against Joseph Kony’s rebel movement.

In December last year, a Kampala human rights activist and intellectual
property lawyer, Monique Wyatt, took the audience by surprise when she rose
to her feet during the function held at The London School of Economics
before blasting Sejusa for committing heinous atrocities against the Acholi
at the peak of the LRA insurgency.

“You committed genocide against the Acholi when you commanded
anti-insurgency operations in Northern Uganda,” Wyatt slammed the fugitive
army General before she was forced out of the meeting.

It is alleged During Operation North in 1991, General Sejusa placed the
entire Northern Uganda under security lockdown before detaining and
torturing civilians suspected of collaborating with LRA leader, Joseph
Kony. Thousands died in concentration camps.

Sejusa, who belongs to the Hima clan just like President Museveni, faces
similar challenges as Rwandan fugitive General, Gen Kayumba Nyamwasa.

In South Africa, most opposition leaders have never forgiven Nyamwasa of
Tutsi origin for his highhandedness in crushing the Hutu rebellion in
Northern Rwanda and DRC after RPF seized power in 1994.

Kashambuzi argues that by forming a coalition of military organs so soon
after launching FUF could only signal that FUF has collapsed before taking
off.

“That is what we had predicted. Sejusa thought by hiring professors from US
and UK would help but they have not. Reading books is one thing. Using the
knowledge to design a good programme another,” he added.

*Sejusa explains*

 According to Sejusa, when Free Uganda originally met on 29 June 2013, many
leaders and several groups, some in exile and others from Uganda, many
things were discussed and the general theme was – “how do we work together
to bring about change in Uganda.”

 He added: “In regard to the question of Means, we needed to harmonise the
means through which to bring about liberation. There was also the critical
need to unite all groups, so that we form a critical mass of the liberation
forces. It was in this spirit that many cooperation arrangements were
agreed with various groups.”

He further pointed out that since the establishment of Freedom and Unity
Front, ideological differences have resulted in different approaches within
FUF to the question of a collective National Vision and how to provide a
linkage with those gallant Ugandans who are facing the brutality of the
regime each day.

Sejusa revealed that another problem has been the lack of constructive
discourse between the two unity partners and with the rest of citizens
about the question of the ‘means’ to liberate Uganda.

“The Question of the Means to achieve liberation is a crucial one to the
overall drive of the Struggle. This entails the means themselves, but also
how to harness and operationalise those means effectively and productively
– meaning that those engaged in ground operations are fully facilitated and
supported,” he added.

It remains unclear whether Sejusa wanted a quick or slow military action
against Museveni.

“But crucially the harmonisation of the Means through which to bring about
liberation has not been attended to satisfactorily, as was envisaged at the
very beginning of the journey of unity in the struggle,” said the former
Ugandan spy chief.

Sejusa said in addition there have been differences in the approaches by
the two entities (FU and CDC) on matters relating to strategy and tactics.

“For example, on the question of how much attention do we give to
on-the-ground operations, in comparison to mobilising members living in the
Diaspora. There are other issues of deference in approaches and perceptions
that have cropped up within Freedom and Unity Front, but which we do not
intend to discuss here in public. In view of the above, it has been found
necessary to put an end to the unity arrangement between Free Uganda (FU)
and Citizens for the Defence of the Constitution (CDC). Consequently, Free
Uganda has been reconstituted and all its structures activated.”