2 Clinton supporters in ’08 reportedly shared Obama ‘birther’ story

BY DAVID GOLDSTEIN

 <mailto:dgoldst...@mcclatchydc.com> dgoldst...@mcclatchydc.com

WASHINGTON

Two supporters of Hillary Clinton’s 2008 presidential campaign reportedly
shared the claim that then-rival Barack Obama was not born in the United
States and thus was not eligible to be president.

One was a volunteer in Iowa, who was fired, Clinton’s former campaign
manager said Friday. The other was Clinton confidant Sidney Blumenthal,
according to a former McClatchy Washington Bureau chief.

The issue arose Friday as Donald Trump finally acknowledged that Obama was
born in the U.S. Trump, a leading champion of the debunked “birther”
conspiracy theory for years, attempted to blame Clinton for starting it when
she ran against Obama in 2008 for the Democratic presidential nomination.

 In fact, there were several people
<http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/article24548944.html>
publicly pushing the theory, which was repeated extensively on conservative
news outlets. There were the two Clinton supporters, but there is no
evidence that Clinton herself or her campaign spread the story.

Patti Solis Doyle, Clinton’s campaign manager during part of the 2008 race,
told CNN on Friday that an Iowa campaign worker had passed on an email about
the birther conspiracy and that Clinton quickly fired him.

Solis Doyle said she’d called Obama campaign official David Plouffe at the
time “to apologize and basically say that this was not coming from us. It
was a rogue volunteer coordinator.”