Caroline Mulroney to seek Tory nomination in York-Simcoe

Robert Benzie - Queen's Park Bureau Chief7 hrs ago

Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown is poised to get a star
candidate for next year’s election – Caroline Mulroney.

© Tom Sandler Caroline Mulroney, shown in 2016, announced Wednesday she will
seek the Tory nomination in the riding of York-Simcoe for next year's
provincial election.

Mulroney, whose father Brian Mulroney was prime minister from 1984 until
1993, announced Wednesday she will seek the Tory nomination in the riding of
York-Simcoe

“I believe that Ontario finds itself at a crossroads,” the Harvard-educated
lawyer and mother of four said in a statement.

“This election is about offering a positive vision for Ontario – one that
respects taxpayers’ money and delivers economic growth and well-paying jobs
to the province,” said Mulroney.

“Making life more affordable for you and your family will guide everything I
do at Queen’s Park. Unlike the current government, I will respect the people
of Ontario, their hard-earned money, and the choices they make for their
families,” she said.

“As a working mother of four, I am concerned about the future of Ontario and
I want to do my part to put it back on a path to prosperity. I’d be honoured
to get to work with Patrick Brown and the Ontario Progressive Conservative
Party.”

Currently a vice-president of a Toronto investment firm, she has worked in
Canada and the United States and has a home in Georgina, which is in
York-Simcoe.

CBC first reported in June that Mulroney was interested in running
provincially.

Her father has given Brown political advice in recent years and she has some
influential supporters, including retiring York-Simcoe MPP Julia Munro and
current York-Simcoe MP Peter Van Loan.

“She is a smart business leader with a knack for building consensus and
getting results,” said Munro.

Van Loan added that “Caroline is a great listener, she cares, and she wants
to build a better future.”

Her candidacy would give the Tories the kind of dynastic star power enjoyed
by the federal Liberals, who are led by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, son
for former prime minister Pierre Trudeau.

EM

On the 49th Parallel

                 Thé Mulindwas Communication Group
"With Yoweri Museveni, Ssabassajja and Dr. Kiiza Besigye, Uganda is in
anarchy"
                    Kuungana Mulindwa Mawasiliano Kikundi
"Pamoja na Yoweri Museveni, Ssabassajja na Dk. Kiiza Besigye, Uganda ni
katika machafuko"