Trump vows dramatic shift in Afghanistan strategy

BY  <http://thehill.com/author/jordan-fabian> JORDAN FABIAN - 08/21/17 09:31
PM EDT
<http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/347424-trump-vows-dramatic-shift
-in-afghanistan-strategy#bottom-story-socials>  104

643

<mailto:?subject=TheHill.com%3A%20Trump%20vows%20dramatic%20shift%20in%20Afg
hanistan%20strategy&body=From%20TheHill.com%3A%20%0A%0A%22I%20will%20not%20s
ay%20when%20we%20are%20going%20to%20attack%2C%20but%20attack%20we%20will.%E2
%80%9D%0A%0Ahttp%3A//thehill.com/homenews/administration/347424-trump-vows-d
ramatic-shift-in-afghanistan-strategy>

© Getty Images

President Trump on Monday announced he will not pull out U.S. troops from
Afghanistan, saying he’s committed to a new strategy aimed at winning the
nation’s longest war.

During a prime-time address to the nation, Trump declared a rapid exit from
the war-torn nation would leave a major power vacuum that would create a new
safe haven for terrorists — a result he called “predictable and
unacceptable.”

The president acknowledged his “original instinct was to pull out,” a
reference to his long-held view that the U.S. erred when it went entered
Afghanistan and that the military should withdraw quickly.

But he said the calculation is different “when you sit behind the desk in
the Oval Office" and that he has determined the U.S. must continue to fight
to prevent the country from becoming a safe haven for groups like al-Qaeda
and the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

“The American people are weary of war without victory. I share the American
people’s frustration,” Trump said, adding that, “in the end, we will fight
and we will win.”

Trump’s speech at Fort Myer in Arlington, Va., was cast as an announcement
of his revised strategy in Afghanistan, but he offered few specifics about
his plan.

While the president is widely expected to send roughly 4,000 additional U.S.
troops to the country, a recommendation made by the Pentagon, Trump declined
to say how many troops he would send or reveal a firm timeline for how long
they would serve there.

“We will not talk about numbers of troops or our plan for further military
activities,” he said. “Conditions on the ground, not arbitrary timetables,
will guide our strategy for now on. … I will not say when we are going to
attack, but attack we will.”

EM

On the 49th Parallel

                 Thé Mulindwas Communication Group
"With Yoweri Museveni, Ssabassajja and Dr. Kiiza Besigye, Uganda is in
anarchy"
                    Kuungana Mulindwa Mawasiliano Kikundi
"Pamoja na Yoweri Museveni, Ssabassajja na Dk. Kiiza Besigye, Uganda ni
katika machafuko"