<https://www.washingtontimes.com/multimedia/image/trump_japan_08478jpg-ea528
jpg/> more >

By  <https://www.washingtontimes.com/staff/dave-boyer/> Dave Boyer - The
Washington Times - Monday, May 27, 2019

President Trump said in Japan Monday he has a different view than his
national security adviser, John R. Bolton, about North Korea’s recent
missile tests, saying North Korean leader Kim Jong-un might simply be
seeking attention.

At a press conference in Tokyo with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, Mr.
Trump was asked about Mr. Bolton’s assertion that North Korea’s recent
short-range missile launches violated U.N. Security Council resolutions.

“I view it differently,” Mr. Trump told reporters. “Perhaps he [Mr. Kim]
wants to get attention and perhaps not. Who knows?”

He added of the North Korean leader, “He is very smart, and he gets it
well.”

North Korea’s foreign ministry said Monday that Mr. Bolton is “inordinately
ignorant” to argue that the recent missile tests violated United Nations
resolutions, calling the tests “normal military exercises.”

The president said he is in “no rush” for a denuclearization deal with
Pyongyang because sanctions are in place, and American hostages have been
returned by North Korea.

Mr. Trump said Pyongyang’s nuclear weapons tests and ballistic missile
launches “seems to have stopped, only time will tell.”

“Let’s see if something constructive can be done,” he said. “If you look
back at the last two years, it’s been a big difference. No rocket testing,
no nuclear testing.”

Asked if he has confidence in Mr. Bolton, the president replied, “Yes, I
do.”

Mr. Abe, who shares Mr. Bolton’s concerns about the missile launches,
downplayed the matter publicly and pointed to the president’s historic
outreach to North Korea.

“He cracked open the shell of distrust,” Mr. Abe said twice. “This was a new
approach, which I welcome.”

The topic of North Korea was at the forefront during the three-day visit by
the president and first lady Melania Trump to Japan to mark the ascension of
the new emperor, Naruhito. The Trumps exchanged gifts with the emperor and
his wife on their “state call,” the first by any world leader.

Mr. Trump and Mr. Abe and their wives also met with Japanese families of
those abducted by North Korea decades ago. Many held photos of relatives who
had been abducted by North Korea.

It was Mr. Trump’s second meeting about the families, and he said the issue
is “very much on my mind.” Mr. Abe thanked the president for raising the
issue with Mr. Kim at his second denuclearization summit in Vietnam in late
February, a meeting that ended abruptly without any agreement.

“I personally think that lots of good things will come with North Korea, I
feel that,” Mr. Trump said. “I may be right I may be wrong, but I feel that.
There’s a good respect built, maybe a great respect built between the United
States and North Korea.”

EM         -> { Trump for 2020 }

On the 49th Parallel

                 Thé Mulindwas Communication Group
"With Yoweri Museveni, Ssabassajja and Dr. Kiiza Besigye, Uganda is in
anarchy"
                    Kuungana Mulindwa Mawasiliano Kikundi
"Pamoja na Yoweri Museveni, Ssabassajja na Dk. Kiiza Besigye, Uganda ni
katika machafuko"