Thilo Goetz wrote:
I'm starting to port the CVD documentation to DocBook. For my XML editing, I use the Eclipse WebTools, which can give me great syntax support -- if it can find the DTD. This works when I change the DTD address from

http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.4/docbookx.dtd

../../../docbook/docbook-xml-4.4/docbookx.dtd

Even if I could make the web URL work, I would still prefer the local file, as I may work on this when I'm not connected to the network. Anybody see any problem with that?

Might be OK, but all these kinds of issues are "supposed" to be handled by XML Catalogs. These map official DTD names to local files. "DocBook XSL: The Complete Guide" has a whole chapter on this, which is available online: http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/Catalogs.html

I use XMLBuddy in Eclipse, which has all kinds of Eclipse-style DTD provided help (such as auto-completion, showing you only "valid" choices of tags, attributes, attribute-values, etc., all based on the DTDs). It seems to work fine with the XML Catalogs. (Note: these Catalogs are part of the uima-docbooks project).

-Marshall\