This chain of emails has a lot of tangled threads and this is an
attempt to disentangle them and reevaluate what it we're trying to
acheive.

I think there were basically two motivations for the whole ball of yarn:
(1) We're unhappy with some of our APIs, in particular (a) the
interface "CAS" can be an interface to either the whole CAS or to a
view, and (b) the logic determining which "CAS" gets passed to an
annotator's process method is confusing. We have a rare opportunity to
clean some of this up in v2.1.

(2) We want to come up with a clean, consistent design for the CAS
that is consistent with the current OASIS UIMA Specification proposal.

Primarily I'm the one who has been pushing (2), but I think I've been
getting a little ahead of myself on that front.  I'm getting myself
into the position of trying to be the advocate of what's in the UIMA
spec and convincing the other committers (well mostly Thilo, as he is
the one giving this the most attention) that they make sense.  But
that does not seem like the right way to go about this.

Taking a step back, the way this process ought to work is that the
interested parties should work with the OASIS UIMA TC to produce an
architecture spec that's agreeable, and then we'll figure out how to
implement it. We can have discussions amongst the implementers here,
but in the end we can't really decide any architecture issues on our
own.  It would not make sense for us to implement any major new
designs unless we're sure they're going to be consistent with the
forthcoming UIMA specification.

So, in the coming months we need to make a significant effort to work
with the OASIS UIMA TC on devising a CAS model that we can agree to.
In the mean time, I think we should take off the table for 2.1 any
significant realignment of the implementation with the spec.

That being said, we still have this opportunty to do address some of
our API issues (1) in v2.1, and I don't want to waste it.  I think we
should look at our most serious API issues and see if anything can be
done about them.  If there are things that we would otherwise want to
do, and those things happen to be consistent with the current spec
proposal, then great, we can do them now.  But unless both of those
conditions are met I think we may want to sit on our hands for now.

Does that make sense?

-Adam