Adam Lally wrote:
On 1/4/07, Thilo Goetz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Another open issue is the createFS method and variants.  I have left
them off of the view API for now in deference to Thilo's "no
convenience methods" suggestion, but I'm still a little unsure.
Basically the situation now is if a user has a view handle and wants
to create an FS they need to do view.getCAS().createFS(...);

Users will have a CAS around, anyway. Where else will they have gotten the view from? I'm not even sure we need a CasView.getCAS(). In what situation would it ever be unclear what CAS a view belongs to? Are you thinking of passing views instead of CASes to process() calls?

The upside is that it helps make it clear that FS are owned by the
CAS, not the view.  The downside is that it may annoy users to have to
put in the getCAS call all the time.  Also is it inconsistent that
view.createAnnotation(...) *is* on the view API?  This was done so
that users can create annotations that refer to the Sofa for the view
they're operating on.

An annotation is created with respect to a sofa, not a view. Why not do CAS.createAnnotation(Type, int, int, Sofa) or something? Then View.createAnnotation(Type, int, int) would be a convenience method.

--Thilo