On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 1:27 PM, Tong Fin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
> It is almost 7 weeks now since I submitted the CAS Viewer. There are some
> discussions about various issues related to GUI, sharing code, etc. Some are
> related to CAS Viewer itself and some are general issues related to Eclipse
> UI.
>
> If the CAS Viewer is accepted by Apache UIMA, my original plan is to:
>  1. Release the CAS Viewer "as it is" since I believe that it is good enough
> for Uima users to try (based on the feedbacks from internal users)
>  2. Maintain and improve the CAS Viewer by adding new functionality (like
> CAS Journaling as I put my proposal in the UIMA Wiki)
>  3. Integrate with other UIMA tools
>
> Unfortunately, the discussion is slow and doesn't go anywhere (most of the
> discussions are related to UI that is hard to say if it is right or wrong).
> I think it is time to conclude if the CAS Viewer contribution makes sense or
> not so that I can move on what to do next.

Tong,

The point of the discussions was not primarily about UI but about
integration with the CAS Editor (UI just got dragged into it since
there are UI implications for how the integration is done).  I'd hoped
that there could be some agreement between you and Joern about how
integration might happen, but unfortunately the two of you appear to
have very different views about at what level the sharing might take
place, and there has been no progress resolving this.  Based on that,
I'm pessimistic about item #3 (Integrate with other UIMA tools) ever
happening.

This leaves us in the position of whether or not we want to accept the
CAS Viewer without any expectation of eventual integration with the
CAS Editor or other UIMA tools.  I have mixed feelings about that -
one one hand, I do like the CAS Viewer as a tool, on the other hand, I
don't like having such a confusing array of overlapping tools in UIMA
as a whole.

Maybe, it would help alleviate these concerns if your plan included
more details on how you plan to acheive the integration.

  -Adam