Tommaso Teofili wrote:
> 2009/10/13 Marshall Schor <m...@schor.com>
>

>> Tommaso Teofili wrote:
>>
>>> I never wrote that report before, but if nobody else comes out I
>>>
>> volunteer
>>
>>> (maybe I'll ask some help here and there to gather all the informations).
>>> +1 for begin the graduation process after the 2.3.0 release.
>>> Tommaso
>>>

>> Great, Thanks Tommaso! Please start by cutting/pasting a copy of our
>> last report, and deleting the specific items - this will guarantee that
>> the first "boiler plate" part of the report is there :-).
>>

> Here is the April report:

Probably best to use the July 2009 report :-) as the template, (but it
probably doesn't really matter...)

>> *UIMA is a component framework for the analysis of unstructured content
>>
>>> such as text, audio and video. UIMA entered incubation on October 3, 2006.
>>> *
>>>
>>> *Some recent activity: *
>>>
>>>    -
>>>
>>>    *OASIS (http://www.oasis-open.org) members approved the Unstructured
>>>    Information Management Architecture (UIMA) version 1.0 as an OASIS
>>> Standard.
>>>    *
>>>    - *A new contributor, Rico Landefeld, contributed a component to
>>>    enable indexing annotations as fields using Lucene. *
>>>    - *Many bug fixes and improvements continue to be focused on UIMA-AS
>>>    (the asynchronous scaleout add-on to base UIMA) driven by experience with
>>>    users doing extensive scaleout. The fixes address error handling and
>>>    performance. *
>>>    -
>>>
>>>    *IBM and MAYO Clinic announced a new consortium around making
>>>    available open-source UIMA annotators for use by the Medical / Health
>>> area;
>>>    see http://ohnlp.org*
>>>
>>> *Items to complete before graduation: *
>>> *We still need to attract more new committers with diverse affiliations.
>>> *
>>>

> As far as I understand this final line can be removed too.

Right.

>> Some items to include:  New committers added (Burn Lewis and you :-) ),
>> work almost complete on 2.3.0 release, new integration with other Apache
>> projects (such as Lucas - integration with Apache Lucene search).
>> Another point item: The Configurable Feature Editor, including
>> documentation, was refreshed, and will be
>> included in the next release.
>> Another point item: the next sandbox release is more than doubling the
>> number of pre-done UIMA components that are available with the framework.
>> Another point is that IBM announced a "grand challenge" effort to have a
>> computer compete live against humans on the popular (in the USA) TV
>> game, Jeopardy! in answering open-domain questions, (not connected to
>> the internet), in real time - and that this system is being built upon
>> UIMA and UIMA-AS (see http://www.research.ibm.com/deepqa/faq.shtml#24 ).
>>

> I'd also add that building (Maven use optimized using parent POMs, RAT,
> etc...) and code quality (generics, deprecation of stale code) have been
> improved, UIMA-AS has been graduated out of the Sandbox as an add-on
> package.

Great.  Also mention the Cas Editor has been graduated out of the
Sandbox and is now part of base UIMA.

>> And you can change the items to complete before graduation to saying
>> it's ready to graduate, and plans to start that process after the
>> current release activity is finished.
>>
>> Finally, if you have time, the project page (
>> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/uima.html ) needs updating,
>> especially to add the new committers.
>>
>> Keep us posted throughout the day your progress on these - to give
>> others a chance to review / update the report (as it's due tomorrow! ).
>>

> Do I have to incrementally update the wiki while we discuss or only when we
> reach a satisfiable verion of the report?

To reduce work, just update the wiki, and then post here that's it's
updated; we'll take a look on the wiki and do any updates there, I think.

-Marshall