From: Tim Bray <t...@kooky.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2023 6:56 PM
To: uknof@lists.uknof.org.uk
Subject: Re: [uknof] Full table routers

On 28/06/2023 10:27, John P Bourke wrote:
Any recommendations for full table routers.  We don’t need more than 10G.

I used Debian + FRR on HP proliants.   With startech Nics with intel chipset.
 Unusual, but did the trick.      Help that there was a whole stack of the same
hardware running services in the same place.    They take a while to boot, but
you can make it faster and I think the newer variants are better.

Software wise, takes a bit of getting used to.   Sometimes conflict between FRR
and what Debian wants to do for network setup.      Also you can use CAKE :)
  Also run any scripts or monitoring you want onboard (like counting the BFD
flaps per hour to watch the problems that go away and come back very quickly)

See also distributions that bundle FRR more specifically for networking rather
than a general distribution.

--

Tim Bray

Huddersfield, GB