There are a few steps involved, but the first one is to install the UMLS.
That's independent of our software, and is a necessary prerequisite. If you
have trouble installing the UMLS, you should contact the NLM for
assistance. More about the UMLS and resources available through NLM can be
found here :

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/quickstart.html

Once the UMLS is installed, then you will need to install two Perl modules,
UMLS::Interface and UMLS::Similarity. These instructions will take you
through much of that process.

http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/BTMCINNES/UMLS-Interface-1.37/INSTALL

If you have trouble with installing UMLS::Similarity (either the Interface
or Similarity modules) then please let us know here!

Good luck!
Ted

--
Ted Pedersen