*Computational Linguistics seminar*

*Friday 16 September, 10:30–12:00*
PT 266, D.L. Pratt Bldg
6 King’s College Road
University of Toronto

*Ted Pedersen*
*University of Minnesota, Duluth*
(Joint work with Bridget McInnes, Virginia Commonwealth University)

*Improving Relatedness Measurements of Biomedical Concepts by Embedding
Second-Order Vectors with Similarity Measurements*
*(or: eating your own tail is good for you)*

Vector space methods that measure semantic similarity and relatedness often
rely on distributional information such as co-occurrence frequencies or
statistical measures of association to weight the importance of particular
co-occurrences. In this work we extend these methods by embedding a measure
of semantic similarity based on a human curated taxonomy into a
second-order vector representation. This results in a measure of semantic
relatedness that combines both the contextual information available in a
corpus-based vector space representation with the semantic knowledge found
in a biomedical ontology. Our results show that embedding semantic
semantic similarity into a second-order co-occurrence matrix improves
correlation with human judgments for both similarity and relatedness.