Hello!

I am trying to compile the linuxboot ISO on CentOS 5.  I have used
Unattended for several years now, but usually with precompiled boot CD's.
However, the 4.9 Beta linuxboot ISO crashes a model of computer I am
trying to load (I'll send another e-mail with this as well), and therefore
I'm trying to compile to correct this issue.

Preliminary Setup:
Very basic CentOS 5.6 install
        All optional items unchecked except Base/Base, including GCC
yum update and reboot
yum install samba subversion gcc gcc44 flex bison gcc-c++ mkisofs

svn checkout
https://unattended.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/unattended/trunk/

Perform some of the beginning Unattended setup steps that are not really
related to ISO burning:  configure Samba, run script-update and prepare,
edit config.pl, copy out the base OS files and hardware drivers.

Steps I've taken to build ISO:

        cd <path>/linuxboot
        make download
(NOTE:  This run ended with an error trying to download Syslinux 4.03.
Another e-mail sent regarding this, but manually updated Makefile to
4.04.)

>From previous personal experience last year at this time, I've found two
errors when compiling the linuxboot ISO on CentOS 5 that seem to continue:
 glibc requires GCC 4.4, and it must be built for i686.  My build command
reflects these changes:

        CFLAGS="-march=i686" make -j 4 CC=gcc44 iso

Build continues until I get to DOSEMU, where the build fails.  According
to the research I've done, it seems that DOSEMU does *not* support GCC
4.4:  you must use GCC 4.3 or older!  Of course, I can't do that because
of glibc, so I'm somewhat stuck.

Obviously, someone is able to build these properly, otherwise there'd be
no 4.9 beta CD.  But how?  What am I missing?

As an alternative, we do not use DOSEMU, we use the nt5x script.  Is there
an easy way to simply skip DOSEMU altogether?

For the record, here's what I did to get around it:
        (Clean up half-compiled mess:)
        rm -rf dosemu-1.4.0
        make download

        (Next, force the compile to stop as soon as DOSEMU is done:)
        rm -rf e2fsprogs-1.41.12

        (Compile without forcing GCC 4.4:)
        CFLAGS="-march=i686" make -j 4 iso
        (DOSEMU is compiled and the build stops because e2fsprogs is now
missing)

Obviously, this is an ugly hack.  My makefile-fu is weak, so I had to kind
of brute-force it.  Suggestions for a more elegant solution greatly
appreciated.  However, now that DOSEMU is done, I can continue with a
normal build with GCC 4.4:

        (Put e2fsprogs back)
        make download
        (Continue build)
        CFLAGS="-march=i686" make -j 4 CC=gcc44 iso

I now get an error with pciutils and lspci, but that will be a separate
e-mail.

Thank you very much for any help you might be able to give me.  Please ask
if you have any questions:  I have tried to cut down on extraneous
information, but I have a lot more detail if you need it!

Timothy J. Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!
http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com