Brad Erdman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > Thinking about features for the future, what about supporting more
> > than one specially customised "unattend.txt" file
>
> I would be very interested in seeing this happen.  I think tying it
> to the MAC address would make sense.

You can already do this with a little bit of coding.  It just isn't
documented yet.

For example, consider the following z:\site\config.pl:

  use warnings;
  use strict;
  my $macaddr = $u->{'_meta'}->{'macaddr'};
  defined $macaddr
      or die "Internal error";
  my $file = "z:\\site\\unattend\\$macaddr.txt"
  -f $file
      and $u->read ($file);
  1;

This will let you create files like z:\site\unattend\456789ABCDEF.txt
which is an unattend.txt file to be read for that MAC address.  Its
settings will be merged in, augmenting (or overriding) the defaults
from Z:\lib\unattend.txt and Z:\site\unattend.txt.

Similar code would let you read unattend.txt files, or directly set
properties, based on the values of any other properties.  For example,
I have a config.pl which prompts for the computer's "asset tag", then
looks up the host name, license key, etc. in a spreadsheet to set them
automatically.

There are too many ways people might want to do this stuff to make any
the default, though.  Besides, the code above is not that bad.

It would be even less bad if we had a rich collection of similar
examples.  If anybody feels motivated to create and test such a
collection, I would be happy to incorporate it into the
distribution...  Otherwise, it will have to wait until I get around to
it.

 - Pat