"Daniel Kruszyna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> If you use "setup.exe /a" to populate the packages/office*
> directories instead of just copying over files from the cd, you
> don't even have to do this.  The installer incorporates the key into
> the install point somehow.  I deleted the PIDKEY reference in
> officexp.bat, and it installs fine. (we also have the volume license
> version).

This will definitely only work a volume license.

But even then, I am not a fan of the "administrative installation
point".  I like my applications installed the old-fashioned way, one
complete installation done once on each machine, with updates applied
later on each machine as needed.  I do not see why Office should be
different from every other application, and I think the entire design
where Office requires unpredictable access to its installation media
is just broken.

And if you install Office from an administrative installation point,
you cannot apply updates yourself; you must obtain them by doing a
"repair" from an updated installation point.  I find this extremely
annoying (and with Office 2000, I found it extremely buggy).  Perhaps
if I worked in an environment with very tight administrative control
of our workstations, it would not be so bad...  But in such an
environment, I might just use RIS.

I realize I am not doing things the way Microsoft suggests.  But it
works; when I use my officexp.bat script, everything gets installed
and the Office Update site agrees that everything is up-to-date.

This is one of several cases where I "respectfully" disagree with
Microsoft.

 - Pat