On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 04:00:58PM -0500, Michael Kahle wrote:
> What if, instead of querying a few text files under NETINST on the built
> machine for software to install and settings, we instead wrote this
> information, as well as extra information about packages already installed
> into the Windows Registry... say HKEY Local Machine>SOFTWARE>Unattended.  We
> could then use this information to query a machine's current
> software/versions installed and update this with a hook in the login
> script...???  Thoughts?

I've got Makefiles and an IRM database doing that sort of thing for me in my
partial deployment.  IRM keeps a track of what software is installed on each
machine, and I've got a perl script 'up2date.pl' which runs on the machine
to query the DB and run a makefile for each installed software package.  The
makefile can be as simple or as complex as need be to ensure that the
software is always installed the same on each machine, and that all the
necessary updates are installed once and only once.  I use a lot of stamp
files to ensure that sort of thing, and I haven't got error rollbacks
happeening yet, but it certainly runs pretty well so far (except for
shitheap software like Outlook and Office which won't cleanly auto-install
for me).

Using the registry for anything kind of scares me, because it's such a
festering heap of dung, but it could be useful instead of stamp files for
monitoring the installation state (checkpoints?) of all the installed
software packages.

- Matt