On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 04:59:37PM +0200, Tft Tco wrote:
> I want to have an unattended install with retail products where each of
> them needs / should have a separate product key.
>
> does anybody know how I can get an individual product key that is based on
> the machine name?

Yup, although I key off MAC address instead.  You can use a CSV file
containing all of your name => key mappings, then you need to write (or
otherwise obtain) code that looks through the CSV file for a line containing
the current machine's name, and then return the product key.  Alternately,
install dbd-mysql and query a database (if that's where the info is).

> I found a hint at the end of unattended.sourceforge.net/apps.html - but
> unfortunatly I found no example anywhere that would clarify how
> officexp-key.pl is working. Especially as I don't know how to know on what
> machine I am.

Presumably gethostname() will work on Windows as it does on Unix.  Might
need to strip the domain portion, but string-fiddling is what Perl does
best.

- Matt

--
"For once, Microsoft wasn't exaggerating when they named it the 'Jet Engine'
-- your data's the seagull."