Oliver Kuhl wrote:

Hi all,

this weekend I got my first unattended network installation of Windows XP including drivers and some basic applications to work. Really a good piece of software - so a big "thank you!" to the developers! :-)

But now I have a question. Is it possible, to use unattended for the following scenario:

Partition 1: 20 GB, Windows XP (Office)
Partition 2: 20 GB, Windows XP (Developing)
Partition 3: 80 GB, Data

I would like to install XP into partition 1 first (which works without problems) and then install another instance of XP into Partition 2, so that I can select which OS to boot.

Is this possible? If yes, which partitions do I have to create and how do I tell XP to install into the second partition?

I don't think you can do the split you describe. We've got a couple dozen machines in the lab that we multiboot, but we have 6/10/rest partitions.

We use the dos boot disks from Unattended 3.5, so this may well not be a limitation anymore. (although, I think part of the limitation may be the windows boot loader)

What we are doing is creating (at least) 3 primary partitions. We set the first one to be the Active partition, and then install unattendedly as normal. This grows the partition from the initial 2gigs, up to the 6gig limit imposed by the 2nd partition.

Then, we mark the 2nd partition active, and do another normal install (the "fdisk command" for unattended just marks the partition active, and doesn't do any repartitioning). This grows the 2nd partition up to the 3rd partition (we chose 10gigs total for the 2nd partition, but this could probably be anything).

I was definitely not able to do a normal install (for the second OS) if the first partition was larger than about the 6gigs that we ended up at. I seem to recall there being some kind of boot sector distance limitation, but I don't have any links for you.

I've installed 2k/xp/2k3 on many machines this way, with each OS in either position (i.e. first or second). We subsequently install linux within the 3rd partition, and use grub to boot among the 3 installed OSes.

Jordan