On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 12:00:28PM +0200, Nils Olav Fossum enlightened us:
> Onsdag 16 april 2008 09:59, skrev Juan Jose Pablos:
> > Regis Gras escribió:
> > > Unfortunately, that does'nt work.
> > >
> > > The last messages are always:
> > >
> > > Trying DHCP on eth0
> > > udhcpc (V1.9.2) started
> > > 0000:00:19.0:eth0: Unaable to allocate MSI Interrupt Error=-1
> > > Sending discover
> > > Sending discover    -two times-   I restarted 3 times the boot PXE and I
> > > do'nt see Sending discover two times.
> >
> > The reason that we added the retries parameter was to allow this command
> > to comeback without user intervention. well, it seems like there is a
> > problem possibly on the network driver.
>
> Ok, looks like the -t parameter did not work out...
>
> As I am looking thru the kernel config, found this:
>
> [ ] Message Signaled Interrupts (MSI and MSI-X)
>
> Its not enabled.
> So, can one of you with this problem enable MSI (CONFIG_PCI_MSI) in the
> kernel
> and test if that will work?
>
> Browsing thru the kernel doc:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/MSI-HOWTO.txt;hb=HEAD
>
> Im not sure if there are downsides if we enable this as default..
> "Use of PCI MSI interrupts can be disabled at kernel boot time
>
> by using the 'pci=nomsi' option.  This disables MSI for the
>
> entire system."
>
> Soh, we have alternative options to use...
>

> Im compiling this into my kernel here now to give it som testing,
> but I do not have the MSI problem and I do not have a Dell Opti 755 :-)

FWIW, I get the sae MSI message on my Dell Opti 755's, but other than one
maybe 2 minute delay on 1 of 8 machines, they all have worked flawlessly. I
think the difference is I'm booting from CD and those with problems have
been PXE booting. It could well be a BIOS/Firmware problem with the 755's
PXE stack that we're seeing and no amount of tweaking is going to solve it.

It might be worth testing other bootable linux stacks which use dhcp to get
an address and see if those have the same issues.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics