So this is not the first time I've seen this happen.  But I have no idea
what's causing it.  Reloading a box here, it gets well into the app
installs, gets to a mandatory reboot point, comes back up as usual,
cmd.exe opens up with

"Mapping \\ntinstall\install on Z:
The command completed successfully.

... done"

and suddenly I get an "Open With" dialog for "todo.pl".

Now I had previously figured out that I can open a cmd.exe window,
go to z:\bin, and do "perl z:\bin\todo.pl --go" which then runs
just fine, but if I do "z:\bin\todo.pl --go"  then it pops up the
Open With dialog.  So something's maybe nuking the perl association?

Come to think of it, it's been whining about running VBS scripts
during the install too, but there it's just a confirmation to run
it.

This all used to work, but given how long these poor slow machines
take to load, isolating the cause could take a really long time.

I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts before I go wading
through the murky world of Windows and Perl, since I'm a UNIX guy
and I don't care too much for Windows.

... JG