Rainer Duffner wrote:

Am 09.04.2018 um 21:15 schrieb Paul Vixie <p...@redbarn.org
<mailto:p...@redbarn.org>>:

the source addresses are forged. the victims are not unclean in any
way. this is why rrl exists.
Most people using our resolvers use our CPE, our lines, our servers….
And the rest doesn’t even have access.

Obviously, Mahdi is running a a shop that is a bit larger than ours.

if they are real clients beating you to death with junk queries that all return nxdomain, you can still win with rrl. less frequent nxdomain responses will cause the apps to get less work done because they are waiting on you. thus it will slow the rate of junk queries.

this is exactly the problem that makes me recommend running a local rdns on every LAN, or at least every house/building/campus, and in my case, on every laptop. i need fast negative responses and i don't want to pay in upstream bandwidth, or work flow delay, to get them.

--
P Vixie