This is my second time to try and post this I don't know if it is going
through or not?  If I am duplicating I apologize!

Hi Everyone

I have to tell you I am in awe of what Ellin has achieved with this book and
I've only read the first few chapters.  I am excited to be sharing my
thoughts and reading your thoughts as we work through this book.

I teach 6th grade LA/SS and I have truly been affirmed by much of this
reading so far and challenged by other parts.  I've begun the past two years
with two novels *Eggs *and *Loser* by Jerry Spinelli.  I tell my student
that I secretly have a crush on Mr. Spinnelli and I've never met a book he
has written that I didn't like.  Spinelli does such an outstanding job with
quirky characters that my students are hooked right away.  I read these
stories to the students as they sit in a grand conversation circle on the
floor with me and I intentionally spend the first nine weeks with these two
novels. It is an opportunity for me to model strategies as I read to them.
Students learn what it looks like, sounds like, and feels like to be a part
of a group. After all the first few weeks of school we are building
community within our classrooms and this fits like a glove.  I want students
to know that reading is a social act where we can be influenced by others
ideas and influence others when we discuss books.  Conversations about books
can clear up misunderstandings and add to the clarity of our understandings.
Students have their response folders right there in front of them and I give
them four topics to focus on each time I read.  These topics revolve around
strategies, and author intent etc.  As I read aloud they can add to their
sticky notes and I share my inner thinking throughout. I am there to
encourage them and support them in their efforts to apply strategies and
understanding.  They learn the art of listening and expanding on an idea,
how to disagree and its ok, how to acknowledge each others thinking, how to
be respectful, how discussions lead to clarification and what Ellin says *dwell
in ideas*.  This structure I use the first nine weeks then I begin the
gradual release and the second nine weeks they begin book clubs.  I find
there is an ebb and flow to this process.  Some students I hold closer than
others.  I am always monitoring their work and discussions.  This book
coming out has been so important to me.  I am ready for it and yet I have to
read it and step away from it because Ellin has given me so much to think
about.

I absolutely love the tables created in chapter 2.   For me it was the OMG
(remember I teach 6th graders) moment!  It was and is what I was looking
for.  If I could sit across the table from Ellin I'd have to thank her for
going through all the research for us.   While I want to be operating from
best practice and research based teaching I do not have the time or
inclination to read research!  I have poured over these tables and tried to
inject some of these ideas into those grand conversation circles with our
novel studies and with our Ancient Culture studies in Social Studies.  I
love the outcomes of understanding it is what I have looked for in my
students and recognized in them but I don't know if they have always seen it
in themselves.

I have several students that have read certain authors all their books and
many of them several times.  I am conversing with them to try to get them to
nail down why?  Why read these books over and over? These students have
become our resident experts on their author or genre because they are well
versed and they are articulating what they feel about the author or genre.

I also find that the four major categories that Ellin defines page 30-31 and
the table that follows are part of front loading at the beginning of the
year with the gradual release model.  My team mate and I really work hard to
build a sense of community, sticking to a schedule, have the same
expectations for "being prepared for class", letting our students know that
we are there for them when meaning breaks down, recognizing and reminding
them of what good character traits are and what we see shining through in
them.  Which go a long way to a climate of rigor, inquiry, and intimacy.

On the subject of text structure I have found by using book clubs (which is
what we start the second nine weeks) just as I did in the first nine weeks I
can control the focus of what I want students to think about.  So I guide
them through text structure which of course runs into writing workshop.  It
is a symphony in the making!  The reflection piece is powerful as well.  I
read an article called Reflection Friday, or something like that, and it
along with this book got me thinking about taking time to do this with my
students.  I have used this in my Social Studies where we learn about an
ancient culture, currently Mesopotamia, and we read from a variety of
resources and then I am having them reflect and categorize the information.
We have created a web on Inspiration and it revolves around these topics:
Key People, Major Events, Inventions/Accomplishments, Religion/Philosophy,
Laws/Politics, and Arts & Architecture. So as we digest the information we
are pausing to reflect together and on our own and figure out where does
this all fit into our web and the bigger questions we think about as we read
explore and try to gain deeper understanding are:

·        What is there to be learned from it?

·        What is its enduring significance? So what?

·        Why are we still learning about this today?

·        What is the influential message, universal truth or common
understanding?

·        How does this understanding influence your understanding?

·        What does this new learning mean to you and your understanding of
the world?

This idea of reflection is powerful in book clubs as well.  I have had the
students stop and talk at three different junctures about their thinking in
terms of characters, themes, etc.  These are holding spots for their
thinking and they write in their response folders and date each entry and
before they write the next reflection I have them go back and reread the
previous one(s) to see how their thinking is changing and can they tell why
it is changing or not changing.

 Susan Cronk M.S. & NBCT

6th Grade LA/SS