This discussion on the term "centers" is really intriguing. When I think of
centers I'm thinking more along the lines of literacy centers that are
becoming more and more a part of reading instruction. What I'm seeing at my
school is teachers at a table with a small group and then the rest of the
kids at  "centers" but there is not much "real" reading going on. They might
be flashing sight word cards or building them with magnetic letters. Then
they might be at a listening station or on the computer playing a game
related to a reading skill. Personally I think this is not the volume of
reading that students need to progress as readers. I like the idea of doing
these types of activities later in the day. However the "powers that be"
have decided that these are the types of activities that students should be
involved in when not at the table with the teacher. So if you look at this
model from a time perspective. Kids in this type of learning situation are
only spending about 10 minutes actually reading a text.

I also like the idea of building activities into centers or stations that
would get the students involved in practicing the strategy that the teacher
has modeled. I just know that I've got lots to think over!

Angie Kelley
6th Grade Reading Teacher