I want to answer one of Kare's prompts this evening because I have been
doing a lot of thinking about this as we try to implement the concept of
invitational groups in the second grade classroom where I coteach.
I have often organized groups by reading levels and it is long past time  for
me to spread my wings and teach based on student need...not level all the
time.

We are starting to develop student goals based on formative  assessments.The
decoding/phonics goals for this intervention group are easier to  find and
develop. I can see from running records that there are patterns of  errors for
some students who need more work on long vowel patterns or  self-correcting
based on cross-checking visual cues with meaning.

The comprehension goals right now are coming from student responses to the
Primary Comprehension toolkit. We identified, for example, a few students for
whom thinking during reading is composed mainly of retelling...not original
thought. So...those students become an invitational group who will get some
more  modeling. I am actually thinking about bringing in some students who have

mastered the concept to join us and share their thinking and do some of the
teaching...though I need to talk to my coteacher first and make sure she feels
comfortable doing this.

What I hope to accomplish is a real atmosphere of inquiry...a spirit of
let's work together to see how we can better understand this text...Now if we
just had a schedule with less interruptions...such as field trips, conference
days, election day...then perhaps we would be further along in this process. I
will keep you up to date.
Jennifer

 In a message dated 10/26/2008 2:11:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,