One of my groups is particularly tough, too. I feel as if maybe there is a
bit of a breakthrough this week because I probed, pushed, and pulled for
perspective after teaching about getting a sense of the character's
perspective in the story. We were at a part of the story where I could ask,
"Based on what we know about the character (serious person, doesn't like
make-believe) what do you think that the character will say about ________
."  Nothing from this tough group. So, I asked, "If our principal was in
this situation, what would he say?" One boy broke into a brilliant
impersonation of the principal and correctly portrayed his probable
perspective. Okay, not much of a breakthrough, but with this group, that was
a golden moment.

Kare