Hi everyone I am just coming off the CCIRA conference and am sooo
fired up!  Nancy Atwell was one of the Key Note Speakers.  I loved
what she reminded us all of and that is book talks.  Getting our kids
into those "just right" books for them is about books that will speak
to them.  She said that all the teachers at her school make it their
goal to book talk loads of books especially at the beginning of the
year.  Exposure I guess you could say is so important especially for
those reluctant readers, right? They have at their website
http://www.c-t-l.org/kids_recommend.html among other things
recommended books from their students by grade level and boy/girl
lists.  You can read her beautiful expectations for their students at
the Center for Teaching and Learning.  She said, and I agree, real
reading (not fake) and real writing make people happy.  I am reminded
of a student I had a couple of years ago who to quote him, "I don't
read books."  One day in October slammed a book shut that he was
reading and announced to the entire class during our silent reading,
"I can't believe it I just finished an entire book on my own!"
Everyone was startled but erupted in applause!   So our job is to find
the books that speak to the kids.  Every year I have sixth graders
like this young man who enter my room and say, "I don't like to read,
I don't read, good luck Ms. C!"  Yeah well I tell them they haven't
spent time with me and I love a good challenge.  Those kids that read
like crazy aren't my concern initially it is those kids who see
themselves as a non-reader.  There are too many good authors to not
hook kids on reading. So book talk and be passionate about it and they
will come to the book and open the cover and find page one and off
they go!  I have also found that those avid readers are my allies in
this endeavor.  I invite them to tell about authors they read over and
over, books in a series they adore, etc.
The second question you pose Jennifer about the teachers who are eager
to improve and passionate while others are satisfied with the status
quo...........hummmmmmmmmmmmm
I have struggled with this long and hard and find at times I am
alienated from others because of my desire to read and improve on my
teaching etc. A colleague of mine we are going on our second year of
conducting a Professional Learning Community and I know from my
reading how important it is to have dialogue with peers yet once a
month we try to gather people together to talk (in this case Writer's
Workshop) and it is very hard to get everyone on board.  However, I
have come to the conclusion that the small group we have acquired that
comes every time is enough.  My principal always reminds me of the
stinky cheese concept (Who Moved My Cheese)!  So my colleague and I
keep plugging along and for me I am focused on those that are there
and not those that are not there.  It is a beginning.  I do know this
work is hard, rigorous, and reflective.  It takes time.  Maybe time
that not everyone can give to it?