> David Tooke wrote:
> The bidirectional algorithm mentions mirrored glyphs.   The reference code handles
>them by replacing these characters with their mirror image.   Is this the preferred
>method of doing this?  If so, is there any where in the Unicode database that
>correlates the two characters?

i have proposed such a database file for consideration by the next utc meeting in
august. you will find a preliminary version in icu at
http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/cvs/icu/data/unidata/Mirror.txt
there is an api in icu that provides this data: u_charMirror(). about icu, see
http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/

> Otherwise, do I render just render the glyph in reverse, flipping the glyph along
>the horizontal axis?   Wouldn't this screw up italicised characters?

sometimes you can graphically mirror glyphs, but the best way to do this is to select
a variant glyph. italics are an example of where graphical mirroring does not work
(well).

markus