From: "Elaine Keown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Unicode List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2000 2:20 PM
Subject: [OT] Arabic script langs in 3.0 ; list?

> Hello,
>
> Unicode 3.0 mentions 11 contemporary languages written in Arabic, most
from Central Asia, none from Africa except Arabic---Berber is not mentioned.
Is Arabic script no longer used south of the Sahara? Or does standard Arabic
script easily cover relevant African languages?

> My usually excellent university library did not answer this question also:
today how many languages are written in Arabic script?

> I can only find 25:  Arabic  Balti  Baluchi  Berber  Farsi  Hausa  Karaite
Kashmiri  Kazakh  Kirghiz Kurmanji  Luri  Mazanderani   Moplah
Panjabi---Pakistani    Pashto   Pulaar  Sindhi  Siraiki (also known as
Saraiki or Lahnda or Western Panjabi)   Sulu   Uighur   Urdu   Uzbek  Wolof