> Just to expand upon this with data:
>
> 1. When I learned Latin in the U.S. in the 1960s, we were taught a
> reconstructed Roman pronunciation.

Before someone asks him how anyone could know how say a 1st c. ce Roman
pronounced things, reconstruction can be informed by such things as
transliteration of names into Greek by Greek authors, common misspellings,
metrical values, etc.   It can't be precisely accurate, but it's probably
not that far off.

BTW, Montaigne's first language was Latin. French was his second language.
His father wanted him to know his Latin like a Roman.  This is rather like
A.K. Ramanujan's (Indian poet's) description of his upbringing: in one
floor/wing of the house, only English was allowed; on another floor, only
Hindi(?), in a third, only Tamil. . . .

Patrick Rourke
[EMAIL PROTECTED]