                                              Wednesday, January 17, 2001
A virama after other than a consonant seems un-Indian.  My novice's
understanding of virama is that it means: If the available rendering
capabilities allow it, consider the implicit 'a' expunged and combine the
preceding consonant with the next one to form a conjunct; otherwise
(i.e. if the rendering capabilities do not allow this) insert the virama
glyph beneath the preceding consonant.  This would mean the last example
in Unicode 3.0 figure 9-3 could be ignored and instead RA + vocalic R
vowel sign (U+0930, U+0943 with no virama) would be rendered as
independent vocalic R (U+090B) with "reph hook" above it.
     Regards,
          Jim Agenbroad ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )
     The above are purely personal opinions, not necessarily the official
views of any government or any agency of any.
Phone: 202 707-9612; Fax: 202 707-0955; US mail: I.T.S. Dev.Gp.4, Library
of Congress, 101 Independence Ave. SE, Washington, D.C. 20540-9334 U.S.A.