Ar 13:56 -0800 2001-01-29, scríobh [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
>I understand that Bengali Islamic epic poetry (known as "puthi") the metre
>(or it may be a particular metre known as "poyar" or "poear") is marked off
>by the use of double danda and a special character sometimes known as
>"ful". I believe this sometimes looks flower-like or like a circle with
>thin spokes.
>
>I'm curious about what is thought about how this character should be
>encoded. Since it is used similarly to the double danda in this poetry, one
>might suppose that this should be a character with similar properties to
>the double danda (General Category = Po, Line Breaking = AL), but no such
>character exists in the Bengali range, or in the range of other Indic
>scripts. (The Dingbats range has something kind of like this -- U+2741--
>but this doesn't look quite the same as the samples I've seen, and it has
>different properties: Gen Cat = So).
>
>Any thoughts on how this should be encoded? Does this represent a new
>character need?

Oh, Peter, how can we possibly know? Shall we guess what it looks like? OK,
I guess it looks flowerlike or like a circle with thin spokes. Since you
probably don't want to use the WHEEL OF DHARMA in Bengali Islamic epic
poetry, why *not* use U+2741? Does its character property actually matter?
Why does it matter for the interpretation, processing, or exchange of
Bengali Islamic epic poetry?

We have a procedure for proposing new characters which you know very well.
To deal with this kind of request we need a few scanned examples of the
beastie in context and a Proposal Summary Form. Of course, as you are
doing, it's good to test the waters before going to all the work of doing
up the forms. But examples are essential.

Michael Everson  **  Everson Gunn Teoranta  **   http://www.egt.ie
Mob +353 86 807 9169 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Vox +353 1 478 2597
27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn;  Baile an Bhóthair;  Co. Átha Cliath; Éire