At Fri, 23 Mar 2001 00:13:33 -0800, Rick McGowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>David Starner wrote:
>
>> I have a copy of Shellbear's Practical Malay Grammar that I'm preparing
>> to transcribe for Project Gutenberg. Unfortunately, he represents
>>the
>> Malaysian alphabet in a Latin transliteration that includes ng as
>> single ligatured form, and I don't know how to transcribe in Unicode.
>
>Could you perhaps post or point to a picture of what it looks like?
>suppose it's an "N" with a loopy tail of some type.

More like rg. A picture is attached.

>The character you are looking for is probably U+014B in lowercase or
>
>U+014A in uppercase.  I would be rather surprised if that's not what
>you're
>looking for.

It's not exactly what I was looking for. I may just use it and make a
note that the glyph is probably not exactly right.

>BTW, a bit off topic here but: I think it's high time that Project
>Gutenberg adopted some very clear character encoding guidelines now
>that
>they're expanding so widely.  Or have they already adopted them and
>I've
>just missed the policy statement...?  They're in for a real mess if
>they
>don't specify character encodings in a very controlled way.

At some points, they are already a real mess. You can dig
through Gutenberg archives and find various (unlabeled)
encodings for the Latin-1 coverage. There's at least one
Japenese document that just says "you need a Japenese
OS to read this." 8-bit documents are usually labeled as
8-bit, without any indication of encoding.

OTOH, the policy of doing everything possible in ASCII has
saved Gutenberg some problems. They're moving towards
Unicode for any files that need it. The Bulgarian files are
clearlly labeled windows-1251, which is at least as start.

See
ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/docs/books/gutenberg/GUTINDEX.02
and GUTINDEX.01 for recent examples. Most of the unmarked
stuff is ASCII, but there's a number of clearly Unicode marked
and "8-bit German" marked files.

--
David Starner - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Free, encrypted, secure Web-based email at www.hushmail.com