Paul Deuter wrote:
> I am wondering if there isn't a need for the Unicode Spec to also
> dictate a way of encoding Unicode in an ASCII stream.  Perhaps

How many more ways to we need?

To be 8-bit-friendly, we have UTF-8.
To get everything into ASCII characters, we have UTF-7.
W3C specifies to use %-encoded UTF-8 for URLs.

This sounds good, too. Have your pages in UTF-8 and all servers will interpret URLs as
UTF-8.
Especially if browsers encode URLs differently, this is your best choice.

Of course, if this all does not work, the obvious choice for Unicode-broken systems is
to use only ASCII characters to begin with...

markus