* License Change

We are pleased to announce that the ICU projects are changing to the X open-source
license.
This change is at the request of many people involved in major open source software
projects such as Linux, Perl, and Gnome.
It allows ICU to be incorporated into a wide variety of software projects using the
GPL license.
The X license is non-viral, allowing ICU to also be incorporated into non-open source
products.

The license change is effective starting with release 1.8.1 of ICU (ICU4C) and release
1.3.1 of ICU4J.
These are update releases of ICU that add very substantial performance improvements
over the previous versions, especially when determining the sort order for text in
different languages.

For details, see http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/press.html

* New Releases

We are also pleased to announce the ICU (ICU4C) 1.8.1 release and the ICU4J 1.3.1
release.

For ICU (ICU4C), the major improvements include collation bug fixes and performance
improvements as well as a normalization bug fix.
For details see http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/download/1.8.1/

For ICU4J, the updates include a normalization bug fix and new, normalization-related
tools.
For details, see http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu4j/releasenotes.html

Best regards,
The ICU team