At 9:42 AM -0400 7/9/01, Tom Emerson wrote:
>Not a fair question. Obviously someone who has never counted strokes
>before is going to guess four, until you explain to them the rules,
>which are quite logical. So you propose that someone has to memorize
>200+ radicals in addition to counting strokes? Please.

Most Chinese dictionaries, at least the good ones, which are keyed to
radical-stroke will *also* have a stroke-based index, and a list of
characters with unexpected radicals.  As I say, there's no reason why
we can't provide more than one index to Unihan.  The main problem is
that the only set of data we have right now that covers everything is
the radical-stroke data.  The next problem is my finding the time to
produce PDFs of the alternate indices.

--
=====
John H. Jenkins