In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Encoded in UTF-8, the file was 1891 bytes long.  Converted into SCSU, it
> dropped to 1121 bytes, which is 40% shorter than the UTF-8 version, better
> than UTF-16, and probably better than any existing legacy encoding for
> Ethiopic.  SCSU is a Good Thing.

Much as I love SCSU, and much as my web browser supports it, it's not the
sort of thing to start encouraging on the wire when there are already
existing standards to deal with this.

Using HTTP transfer encoding to deflate the data being transferred will work
well on most browsers, and is implemented by all good webservers. A brief
test shows deflate can compress it down to 1027 bytes (although I had the
original size as 2201 bytes).

Pace Micro Technology plc                     Tel: +44 (0) 1223 518566
645 Newmarket Road                            Fax: +44 (0) 1223 518526
Cambridge, CB5 8PB, United Kingdom            WWW: http://www.pace.co.uk/