At 12:32 PM 11/28/01 +0100, Marco Cimarosti wrote:

>I don't think that Unicode requires that a non spacing mark *has* to be
>placed on something in order to be displayable. However, some fonts may
>chose to represent a stand-alone non spacing mark as floating on some
>default glyph, for either technological or esthetic reasons.

As for example at the beginning of a string.

If it's not at the beginning, it is *always* placed on something, i.e.
whatever it is preceded by, whether that's intended or not. That's the
reason for the rule about using a space (or NB space), which can be found
in section 7.9 (p180 of Unicode 3.0).

A./